Acer Aspire T180 desktop - Speakers stopped working

Options
aubergine
aubergine Member Posts: 5 New User

I've just got my Acer T180 desktop back from the repair shop. Everything seemed to be working fine but today the speakers have stopped working.

I've tried plugging the jack into different sockets on the rear of the CPU, but no sound is coming out.

Yes, I get the pop-up window acknowledging that I have plugged the rear speaker into the socket.

Yes, I have tested the speakers on a separate computer and they are working properly.

Yes, I have looked at the Acer support page relating to speakers. 

Yes, Device Manager says the device is working properly.

When I phoned Acer Support the operator wanted me to do a factory reset. But surely there must be an easier way?

For the record, this was originally a Vista PC that was upgraded some time ago to Windows 7 (32-bit).

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i would try to uninstall and re-install audio drivers.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

check if your system has AC97 or high definition audio, then follow the links, download the drivers package.

to check audio version:

Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager.
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

click on Sound, video and game controller and have a look at the description.

to uninstall, right click the sound controller, choose uninstall and tick also to uninstall software if prompted.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • aubergine
    aubergine Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I tried plugging the speakers in to the "headphones" jackpoint at the front of the CPU, and they worked. This suggests it may be some configuration issue with the rear jackpoints rather than an audio driver issue? Is there anything else I should try before uninstalling/reinstalling the audio drivers?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

you can check on Realtek control panel if any settings is available to switch from front to rear jack

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • networkmage
    networkmage Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I just bought a acer V 15 and the same thing happened after only 15 days; Speakers suddenly stopped working, headphones still worked though, and device manager showed everythinng was fine and updated. I found a solution that has been permanent thus far: Put the laptop to SLEEP for 2-3 minutes, then re-awaken and the speakers will work.

I actually found this solution on a Toshiba laptop forum. Not sure what casued audio to go out, nor why the sleep option restores it.

I did try restarting the computer beforing trying the sleep option and it didnot work.