Acer Aspire ME600 graphics card

Options
Nervo69
Nervo69 Member Posts: 9 New User

My computer is an Acer Aspire ME600-EB388 similar to the UR378. It has Windows 8 operating system.

So I recently just purchased a nVidia Geforce GTX 750ti. When I try and boot up the computer with the new graphics card inside it the monitor says "No signal" everything else seems fine except the monitor.

So we tried something another old forum told us to do. I reinstalled my old card and booted up bios and disabled secure boot.

What the other forum said:

"Graphic cards cannot be installed on windows 8 certified computers.  If you have upgraded from windows 7 for example you can install a new graphics card.  But because of the secure boot mode in computers with windows 8 from the manufacture it can't be done.

But if you go into your bios and change settings it should work.  What you would need to do is 1.makesure that graphics card you want to install is NOT in the computer. 2. Shut down the computer. 3. Boot into your bios. 4. Go to security and disable secure boot. 5. Save and exit. Restart.  Then install your new graphics cards normal."

Any ideas what the problem is?

Th

Answers

• Nervo69
    Options

By the way the secure boot DID NOT work.

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

Wondering what your old gpu is?

What is the size of your PSU (Power Supply?)

Besides what you have already stated above what steps have you taken to do the new install...

Your old card does it have the GPU Power connecters that the NEW GPU has? Have you connected the new GPU with the one or 2 power connecters that it needs to run the NEW GPU?

Take some pictures and put them in here so we can have a better understanding of your setup!

James

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

The 750ti is a "UEFI only" card.  You need to have a UEFI bios in default mode.

1. What Windows version (OS) did your computer originally come pre-installed with? Linux?

2.  You have plugged your monitor in to the output on the new graphics card, right? (sorry, dumb question)

To determine what BIOS your have:

1. Right click on windows start button

2. Left click on run

3. type msinfo32

4. click ok

Post what you find. I don't have your computer model but this is the info we need.

msinfo.PNG

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Nervo69
    Options
    The old card was an AMD Radeon HD 7350p
    It did not have any power connectors connected to it. The new one does.

Right now it has a 465 watt power supply so power doesnt seem to be the issue.

I went throught the bios and disabled secure boot. (With the old card installed)

I start it up (with the new card) and everything seems to boot up fine until it gets to the loading screen. It recognizes the new graphics card but it doesnt seem to want to boot up. It doesnt load like its supposed to.

The specs on the side of the computer say:
    Intel core i5 processor 3350p
    Amd radeon hd 7350p
  • Nervo69
    Options
    The computers original operating system was Windows 8 when it was purchased
  • JordanB
    Options

What BIOS version is currently installed on your computer?  See instructions in my previous post to find out your bios version.

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

Your in Good hands hope all works out for you and your new GPU.

James

• Nervo69
    Options
    Heres what I found:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Pro...
    BIOS version/date: American Megatrends Inc. P11-A2, 2012-09-06
    SMBIOS Version: 2.7
    Embedded Controller Version: 255.255
    BIOS Mode: UEFI
    baseboard manufactuerer: Acer
    Baseboard Model: Not available
    Baseboard name: Base Board
  • JordanB
    Options

Ok.  It appears that there is a new BIOS for your computer.   P11.B1

Make sure you read the Readme directions.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

• Nervo69
    Options
    Alright so I followed the readme and got the new BIOS.

Heres what happend:
    I booted up the computer and everything in the computer is fine. The power connectors connected. So the computer was fine but the monitor didnt display at all now. You know how there is a flashing light on most monitors when its off. Thats what it was like. The white cable was connected but it still didnt work.
  • JordanB
    Options

Ok.  I'm completely stumped at the present moment.

But just to be clear....If you remove the graphics card, your computer works fine?

Try powering down the computer one more time.  Remove the card.  Power on computer and wait 5 minutes.  Power off computer.  Reseat the card.  Turn on computer.

Also have checked your BIOS settings to see if there is anything relevant?  I doubt if there is but I'm not familiar with all AMI Acer UEFI.

You can also try calling the graphics card manufacturer to see if they have any tips.

• JordanB
    Options

You loaded the BIOS defaults (F9) and saved/exit (F10) ?????

• JordanB
    Options

And I should have asked you this already.....but what monitor cable do you have plugged in to your new graphics card?  HDMI cable?

You can also try disabling secure boot again.

• Nervo69
    Options
    Alright let me completely go through the whole process of what we did to install it.

Once i got the graphics card we took out the old one and put the new one in. Tried running the computer and the same problem happend like whats happening now. Monitor has power but doesnt display anything

So we took out the old one and realized the power connector wasnt plugged in. Tried that and it recognized the graphics card because for a split second it showed the information like the name, copyright, etc.. Then it showed the Screen where its supposed to load but the little circles that usually go around werent there so it wasnt loading.

We took it out then read something online saying to disable secure boot mode. Same result as above.

Then we did what you said to check the bios. And then installed the new one through the readme and it told us to load default settings. So we did that and now we're back to the same problem we started with.

-------

Yes if I remove the old card and put the new one in it works fine. If I put the new one in the monitor doesnt show anything. I have a white cable plugged into the graphics card and monitor.

Yes we loaded defaults and safe and exited.
  • Nervo69
    Options
    Should I try contacting nVidia or someone to check out the computer?
  • JordanB
    Options

Usually you would contact whoever is the manufacturer of the Nvidia card.  For example, MSI, EVGA, ASUS,Gigabyte, etc...

I'm out of ideas.  Sorry.

• Nervo69
    Options
    Okay, thank you very much for trying. I'll reply back if we resolve the problem