Acer Aspire M3920 desktop - upgrade kit

Options
joeoil
joeoil Member Posts: 51 New User

I have found a reasonable priced upgrade kit (about $350) from a company that deals with these thing. I sent a mail to the company and asked for some advice.

They say they do NOT recomend buying upgrade kits to prebuilt computers, like Acer, Lenovo Asus ...... and others, because there could be specific components from Acer, in this case, that do not match with loose parts in upgrade kits.

What does Acer say about this subject? Is it ok to buy upgrade kits to Acers desktops or is it not recomended?

This is the upgrade kit I was thinking about:

- Intel® LGA1150 Core i5-4460 (cpu)

- MSI B85M-E45, Socket-1150 (motherboard)

- Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600Mhz 8GB KIT (ram)

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    Options

The UPGRADE looks nice, But your system now looks NICE too. Wish your system was in my AXC600 that is a i3 lol. Anyway besides that There are pros and cons about both Setups. 

One with the One you have now with the i5 2300 it has a 850MHz GPU where the 4460 has a 350MHz. Now the 4460 does alow 3 Displays and the 2300 2 if that is one of the reasons. Sure CPU size is smaller for the 4460 but the Power draw on the system is only 10% lower. So could save some Money to Power company with Upgrade.

The 2300 Does have the Intel HD 2000 GPU that is going out for support. Where the 4460 has the INTEL 4600 GPU. so under some of the items that I do that require updated GPU drivers I can see why the UPDATE could be needed. 

About the Updates on a ACER tower. I know there are people out there that do it with a Different MB CPU and ram at times even keeping the ram they have . However one of the problems I could see is if you had a Window8, 8.1 or 10 machine. The CAO is built into the BIOS. So when you update your MB the Software is no longer valid. Then there are the Cases that are ITX Mini where the Case really only has room for the HARDWARE that it came with. 

In the End what are we really talking about Keeping. Well the Front USB and Speaker/Head jack if they are present. The HDD, and DVD/CD Rom and Power Supply! 

IS it an UPGRADE that I would do. Sure if I was looking to have a NEWER Gen CPU Second Gen for the 2300 and 4th Gen for the 4460. 

Also if Ram is a Factor 16gig max compared to 32gig...... 

I would say if you want to do it what could it hurt. worse case the Motherboard don't fit the Case and you endup having to find a different case in the end.

I am no Expert with Acer or any other computer I just offer information

Hope this helps some I am sure someone with more insite will chime in. Let us know what you think of your UPDATE if you do the Upgrade. Love to hear how it works out

James

• joeoil
    joeoil Member Posts: 51 New User
    Options

Thank's for your respond.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention which cpu is in my present computer. It's Intel Core i3-2100, 3.10Ghz. 

After some thinking I have two choices. Smiley Happy

1) New cpu, only - Intel Core i5-2500k, 3.30 Ghz, cost about $190.

2) The upgrade kit - MB, CPU (i5-4460, 3.20Ghz) and RAM, cost about $350. 

#1 The easy choice. Just click in a new cpu that I know will fit the MB.

#2 I don't know if a new MB is compatibel with existing hardware, but I'm quite sure the MB have the correct size. Cons, I'm getting a usb 3.0 port, more ram, more power, a up to date desktop computer that can match a new stock computer costing typically $700-800.

Both cpu's have a rating at CPU Benchmark scoring a average CPU mark at about 6400-6600. 

Quote:

"In the End what are we really talking about Keeping. Well the Front USB and Speaker/Head jack if they are present. The HDD, and DVD/CD Rom and Power Supply!"

Yes, this is the hardware I'm keeping, and the graphic card (AMD Radeon HD 6570).

It's a difficult choice, since my present computer works perfectly well. Smiley Very Happy