Acer Aspire Desktop Windows 10: how can I change from Workgroup to Homegroup?

Options
Stilako
Stilako Member Posts: 7 New User

I have five computers doing various things in our house, e.g. one old (XP) machine for music only, connected to piano keyboard, Amazing Slowdowner, stereo system etc.  They're all on Homegroup for transferring files, sharing printers.  Windows 10 seems to be set to Workgroup, with no apparent place to change that.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

I'm not very savvy about Homegroups, but I'll give you a couple links that might help.  I see they are having some discussion over in the Windows Ten forum too.  If I were going to setup a homegroup, I would have to read a Windows for dummies book espcially if I was going to try to mix Windows XP/Vista with Windows 10.  I'm not even sure it's possible.  If you find out, please post.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-set-up-a-homegroup-network-in-windows-10.html

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/?s=7f8df8dddd42f937a48adf52d224cc43

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Stilako
    Stilako Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

It took a while, but I have it working.  Part of the problem was finding out how I got to a screen.  It used to be that I could back out through a path, but now, everything I do seems to take me elsewhere!  Be that as it may, I've written out what will work (at least I've been able to do it a few times).

Start with File Explorer, which should be a choice when you click on the window thing at bottom left.

On my system, it comes up with a box that says Quick Access.  Click to the right of it, in the box, and it will highlight.  What you type should replace the highlighted text.

Type control panel/system and security/system (enter) -- getting to this window through other methods wasn't reliable at all.

Choose Advance System Settings (on the left), will take you to System Properties window.

Click on Computer Name tab, at the top, left.

Towards the bottom, it says To rename this computer, click change.  Do that.

Put in whatever you want for a computer name.

At the bottom, the Workgroup button should be chosen.

In the box, click to the right of the existing name, if there is one, backspace over it, and type a new name.

In my case, I typed MSHOME. It seems to take only upper case, but doesn't matter.

The OK button will be activated only if the name in the box is different from what was in use before.

To check, I went back to File Explorer.  Over top of whatever highlighted, I typed Network (enter)

The screen populates with all the computers I have in the house:  This Aspire (Windows 10), my old desktop (XP), my Music (XP), my laptop (Win 7), my wife's desktop (Win 8.1), and a print server.  I've tried things, and I can get into files on each of them, pick music off the XP Music machine, and play it through programs on this PC with Windows 10.

I've seen it said that you can't mix networking between XP and Windows 7, 8, 10, but I don't think those statements are true.  I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that the XP machines are connected by cable to my Netgear WNDR3700v3 router, and the laptop and this Aspire are working wirelessly into it.

Good luck!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Thanks for posting that you figured it out.

I think it gets a little confusing with homegroup vs workgroup.  I'll post another link in case someone else is wondering.  

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/networking-home-computers-running-different-windows#networking-home-computers-running-different-windows=windows-7

Edit: Not sure if your Netgear is the Samba server or Master Browser, but it can definitely get confusing.  Smiley Happy

On my wireless router, I have the ability to force it to be the masterbrowser so it has saved me a lot of headaches with that stuff.

I'm not an Acer employee.