Acer Aspire Ax3900 (Small form) Win 10 Fast Boot issue, fixes negated by Windows updates?!

Options
ady88s
ady88s Member Posts: 3 New User

UK Desktop PC User

Acer Aspire Ax3900 (Small form)

Windows 10 Home v1607 os build 14393.222

Intel i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz

5GB RAM

Hi all,

I am not really a computer person so I am trying to keep a log of what I am doing and maybe someone can point/push me in the right direction?

Since the upgrade from Win 7, I’ve had the same issue of the PC seemingly booting up of its own accord. It didn’t always happen which is why I have never been able to tell if it does it straight after I have intended to do a shut down or if it is booting up randomly in the middle of the night.

I’ve sourced a couple of solutions to this problem which have only temporarily solved the problem. Somehow, the fixes I am trying from my research on the net keep being ‘undone’.

It seems to me that when Windows automatically updates, it negates my ‘fix’ and the problem returns.

My initial research suggested that the issue was with the ethernet connection power management. I have been unchecking ‘Allow this device to wake the computer’. 

On this point ‘Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer’ always remains checked. If I uncheck it, close the dialog box and reopen, it is checked again. I am curious if this might be the cause although not optimistic(!)

The other solution I found was to enter BIOS and disable fast boot. This having been done, I checked in Power Options and Fast Boot was still checked there. I know have unchecked this before in Power Options. I went to ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’ and unchecked ‘turn on fast start up’ AGAIN and saved changes.

I have done both of these but with automatic updates enabled, the problem always returns.

I have now disabled automatic updates in services. I’m hoping this will work in the meantime but it doesn’t seem like a long term fix as I get that updates are beneficial at least some times.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I don’t feel my PC is relaible anymore. I quite like Win 10 so would like to find a proper solution.

Many thanks for any replies

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

i had some issues using windows 10 fast startup and i'm not a hybrid hybernation fan. (i don't have an Acer PC, i prefer to assembly it).

i would try to disconnect the AC power cable and wait 10 minutes, then try to boot.

it's strange that  you are not able to disable "fast startup", have a look if you are able to disable it using the .bat file from this thread:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

have you checked on BIOS about Wake On Lan (WOL)?

normally is under Power management.

• ady88s
    Options

Hi there thanks ironfly for the reply. I went to try your suggestion just now and when I turned the pc on, there was power but there were no beeps and nothing comes on the monitor. I checked all the connections and unplugged everything before trying again. This has happened before in win 10 (never in win 7) so will take some time and multiple boots to boot properly - about 20. I'm sure this is connected to the fast boot issue. Is there a possibility that the motherboard on this acer isn't suited to the hibernation mode option? Has anyone else had a similar issue with a win 7 factory install Acer aspire which had the upgrade to win 10 home? Thanks for any/all replies

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

i had some issues using windows 10 fast startup and i'm not a hybrid hybernation fan. (i don't have an Acer PC, i prefer to assembly it).

i would try to disconnect the AC power cable and wait 10 minutes, then try to boot.

it's strange that  you are not able to disable "fast startup", have a look if you are able to disable it using the .bat file from this thread:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

• ady88s
    Options
    Thank you ironfly, so far so good. To boot successfully, I swapped the ram sticks around. Booted first time. Then did what you said and so far so good. I'd like to try again in a few days with Windows updates turned back on again but a good solution, thanks again.
  • IronFly
    Options
    You welcomd.