Acer Aspire AXC-704G-UW61

Options
skittles8
skittles8 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 29 in 2018 Archives

I realize I didnt buy the most expensive model but this computer is very, very slow. Any help with speeding it up!!!

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

Try Ccleaner.

Otherwise delete, dump and turn off all the background stuff.

Try running in safe mode and see if that is different.

Give us a clue about your capabilities to disable lots of services.

• jasonmburris
    jasonmburris Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have 2 inexpensive options for you... 

-I don't consider this the most effective but, I have a 8gb SD card dedicated as "READYBOOST." A 4gb card will be enough to utilize the "readyboost" feature. It requires a fast transfer rate also. Be sure not to skimp on the card used. The USB ports are limited and this method will allow access to the two (front), 2.0 and the two (rear), 3.0 ports.

-Hynix HMT451S6AFR8A-PB 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600MHz non-ECC Unbuffered CL11 204-Pin SoDimm 1.35V Low Voltage Single Rank Memory Module 

THIS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT WILL WORK (I could be wrong)... It is my understanding that the exact same RAM must be used in both slots... 

https://www.amazon.com/Hynix-HMT451S6AFR8A-PB-PC3-12800-DDR3-1600MHz-Unbuffered/dp/B00FKEZ218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517410345&sr=8-1&keywords=Hynix+HMT451S6AFR8A-PB+4GB+PC3-12800+DDR3-1600MHz+non-ECC+Unbuffered+CL11+204-Pin+SoDimm+1.35V+Low+Voltage+Single+Rank+Memory+Module

Good luck with this. I hope it helps.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,892 Trailblazer
    Options
    As with any lower end computer the biggest change you can do is split between memory and storage.

Yours support 8GB max memory and as Jason said you need to have the same speed and size in both slots. Yours came with a 4GB, likely 1066MHz since that is what the processor runs at, but you really want to look at what's in yours before buying a second. The chipset supports 1066, 1333 and 1600MHz memory. If you get the one Jason shows you have to have a 1600 in the other slot as well, meaning you might have to buy two sticks.

You may get more bang for your buck by putting an SSD in as your main drive. The motherboard has a SATA interface that runs at 6Gb/s or a maximum of 600MB/s. The drive spends almost all it's time moving the heads around the platter and very little time doing that burst transfer at full speed. With a SSD all the seek time is removed and you can transfer at whatever speed (up to the 6Gb/s maximum) that the SSD supports. A SSD is more money than a HD but likely to be worth it. I have not seen the inside of your SKU, so check to make sure there's either a 2.5" drive mount or get an adapter to fit. If you don't have room inside for two drives then you may have to adjust your expectations or step into an M.2 adapter card and a M.2 SSD.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • apttyfn
    apttyfn Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    skittles8 said:

I realize I didnt buy the most expensive model but this computer is very, very slow. Any help with speeding it up!!!

Unfortunately like me you purchased this high price paper weight. It wasn't wifi compatible had to buy a $40 device to connect and it was as slow as dial up. Had to buy a HDMI cable that didn't come with it, the DVD player works about 20% of the time. I waited to long to install it and Walmart wouldn't take it back and after numerous emails to acer got no response or help. I would have been better off to spend $500 on a Dell or HP and had a computer I could use. I would hope no one would ever waste their money on this junk. Only good use Ive been able to use it for is down load pictures and use Photoshop .I'll never buy an acer computer again. Money thrown away.