Acer Aspire ATC-705-UR58 Desktop Computer

Options
jshe
jshe Member Posts: 9 New User

I bought this Acer Aspire ATC-705-UR58 desktop computer day before yesterday.  Twice while setting things up (email, etc) the computer tells me I need to reboot for updates to take effect.  When I allow the "Restart" and during the reboot, I get the Acer boot screen but then the screen goes blank.  There is no hard drive light so I can't tell if something is doing anything or not.  I've waited for 5 or 10 minutes looking at a blank screen but nothing happens.  I've learned that if I power down, unplug everything from the back, reconnect all the cables, I can then power up and everything works fine.  

I've only found this to happen during a "Restart" and so far, it has not done it from a cold boot.  I did see there is a bios update to certain Aspire laptops that had this problem but I apparently have the latest bios.

Acer Aspire ATC-705-UR58 Desktop Computer

Windows 10

Intel I5 processor

Thanks for any help

jshe

Best Answer

• jshe
    Answer ✓
    Options

JordanB and others that responded to my plea for help.  I FOUND OUT WHAT WAS WRONG!!!

In my previous post, I said I was taking it back for exchange in the morning.  I uninstalled my email, open office, chrome and printer.  Deleted all of my personal information, bookmarks, and documents and was about to get it ready to box back up when I though I would try one last thing.  

I took a different monitor and plugged it in and it works perfect every time now. The monitor I was using was a VIZIO that has been used with 2 different desktops and as an extended display for a Laptop.  It worked find on those but it won't on this Acer.  I hooked up a Viewsonic and it made all the difference.  Both monitors are the same size, same resolution, etc.  

I've now reinstalled everything back to the way I had it and it's still working perfectly.  I've rebooted a dozen times and never had a glitch.  

I'm happy and thanks for all your help.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

so you have BIOS P11.B4 on your desktop?

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_P11.B4_A_A.zip?acerid=635755727310704328&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20TC-705&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

just to clarify, if you choose to power off and then turn on your PC (without disconnecting anything) it's able to shutdown and turn on without any issue?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Just to make sure you know.....things work differently in newer computers w/ Windows 8 and Windows 10 regarding "cold boot".  Since fast startup is enabled by default, shutdown doesn't really give you a cold boot.  Restart actually gives you a cold boot.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/b8/2011/09/08/delivering-fast-boot-times-in-windows-8/

I have basically the same computer as you.  Are you trying to plug any really old devices in the USB ports? Try using temporarily with only keyboard and mouse.

If you still have the same problem, I would start over and reset to factory defaults.  Just keep in mind that when you first buy a computer, there is going to be an incredible amount of updates that need to be done through Windows Update and other updates.......and you have to be patient.  Smiley Happy So again, I would just start completely over and reset to factory condition (just remove my files).

If I had to guess, it sounds like your graphics driver is messed up.  But of course make sure your cables are all plugged in securely.

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29925/~/use-acer-erecovery-management-to-restore-your-system-or-create-recovery-media

• jshe
    Options

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology.  I said "cold boot" and I mean powered off completely.  Restart I mean Window Icon, Power Options, Restart.  Maybe powered off and turning it back on is supposed to be called "Restart". This is my first time using Windows 10 (coming from Windows 7) so I'm a little lost on finding things.

At any rate, the only things plugged in are: HDMI monitor, speaker output, power cord, USB ports are the Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse dongle (fairly new), an HP ENVY printer that is about one year old, a Logitech camera and a Cyber Power UPS (that USB allows for monitoring my power input and output power. I don't really need to monitor the power and I have not installed the program, so I can unplug this without issue).

I am assuming all updates, including Windows 10 updates have already downloaded.  I believe that was completed the first night.  I'm not sure what you mean to set it to factory defaults.  I thought it would be set to factory defaults out of the box.  I also think it may be the graphics driver.  I read somewhere to uninstall the graphics driver and reboot to allow it to find the latest one.  I haven't tried that and haven't even found them on W10.  I knew where all that stuff was on previous Windows versions.

Thanks again for your help.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

one thing to try to check if it's a cold boot issue:

windows key logo + x

choose

command prompt (admin)

type

shutdown /s /full / t 0 

press enter

this will completly shutdown your system, so next time you will turn it on, it will be a cold boot.

if it still hangs, i would disconnect all the USB devices apart the wirless dongle for keyboard and mouse, then retry a cold boot.

• JordanB
    Options

You can try to go to device manager (search your computer for device manager) and uninstall the graphics driver (tick the box to delete the software too).  After you uninstall the graphics driver, you'll be prompted to restart your computer.  After you restart your computer, just sit back and wait for Windows to automatically download and install your graphics driver.

One more thing......

I had trouble with my old Logitech web camera.  My PC didn't suffer the same symptoms as you, but it would cause a bluescreen (driver power state failure).  My logitech webcam was really old though.  Probably 2007 or 2008.

You can try without the logitech web cam and see what happens.  And you can also do some googling to see if your logitech cam has known issues with win10.

I use newer wireless logitech keyboard and mouse and they're not a problem (at least mine aren't)

Ultimately if the graphics driver suggestion doesn't work, you may have to one-by-one check to see which USB device is (possibly) causing the issue.

Here's how to reset your PC to factory condition. Watch the video below. Save that as a last resort.  Smiley Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tin27LxnBEU

• jshe
    Options

I'll give that a try IronFly if I continue to have problems.

• jshe
    Options

JordanB, I know what your talking about now with reset to factory defaults (just take it back to factory condition).  I think I will unplug the UPS first and see it that might be causing it.  If I still get the blank screen, I'll try the webcam (it's also about a year old). If that doesn't do it I'll remove the graphics driver and let in reinstall.  I'll have to find the location of it.  Like I said, I'm coming from Windows 7 so things are not in the same place, i.e., control panel, but I'll find it.  Clicking the Window and X or something like that will get me there I think.  

Thanks again for the suggestions.

• JordanB
    Options

Sounds good.

If you right click the Windows start button that is located in the bottom left corner of the screen, you'll have everything at your fingertips.  Smiley Happy

rtclcik.PNG

• jshe
    Options

Sorry but I failed to answer your question.  

That is correct.  If I Shut down the system and then power it back up, everything works as it should.  I've powered it down several times over the last couple of days and it has always started as it should when I power back up.

I only get the blank screen when I allow it to "Restart" after installing something.  It doesn't do it every time but has twice in the last couple of days.  The first time was after a Windows update and that was Friday night after getting it all set up.  It did it again today after I installed Incredimail.  After that install I had to allow a Restart for the new "settings to take affect".  I clicked OK to Restart and that's when I got the Acer Logo and then to the blank screen.  I tried to power it back up a couple of times by holding the power button in until it powers down.  Like before though, I had to unplug everything on the back, plug it back in the power it up and it does without a problem after doing that.

Thanks

jshe

• JordanB
    Options

Microsoft released a new graphics driver through windows update last Thursday/Friday for the intel HD4600.

So to ensure you get the latest graphics driver properly installed.......

1. Go to Device Manager

2. Uninstall your old graphics driver (also tick the box to delete software)

3. Restart your computer when prompted.

4. Let Microsoft Windows automatically download and install the latest driver.

new4600driver.PNG

• JordanB
    Options

And you'll probably see that it got a new driver from Windows Update history log.

drv4600.PNG

• jshe
    Options

I'll check the driver tomorrow and see if I've got the new one.

• jshe
    Options

JordanB, I'll check the driver tomorrow and see if I've got the new one.

• ssakhan
    ssakhan Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I  bought this system over the weekend and installed Server 2012 R2 and external HD and SATA disks are not seen as a backup capable.

Drivers are not fully installed as they seem to be incompatible with Server 2012. Driver files simply won't execute says incompatible with this system. 

Any ideas to make SATA and external disk work or any compatible drivers to install for Server 2012 R2.

Thanks!

• JordanB
    Options

jshe,

Ok sounds good.  .4331 is the latest driver.

4600latestedt.png

• JordanB
    Options

ssakhan,

I think you should start a new topic as Windows Server 2012 is very off topic.  Smiley Happy

• jshe
    Options

JordanB, I've done it all now I guess.  I updated the driver (uninstalled and let it reinstall) but it didn't help.  I contacted Acer tech support.  He gave me a link to download the recommended drivers.  He also wanted me to reinstall the Card Reader driver.  I installed both of those recommended drivers but nothing changes.  Both drivers were older than the ones that came pre-installed.  

Now almost every time I boot and it makes no difference if it is from a powered down state or restart; right after the Acer logo pops up it will go to a blank screen.  Just FYI, I did try and use the VGA adapter and it still does the same thing.  One thing I did notice, during many reboots today, is if the Acer logo comes up, then goes off for a second then comes back on for a short time, the computer will boot fine BUT if the Acer logo stays on for a while (6 or 8 seconds) without flashing once, the blank screen comes up.  It appears to me that when the screen flashes, the driver loads but if it doesn't flash, no driver is loading.  The last chat with Acer tech support said to try a different HDMI cable.  I changed it to a much heavier HDMI but it did not change anything.

Now for the interesting part:  Remember yesterday I said I could unplug everything on the back, replug it and reboot, everything would work as normal?  I found out that after I boot and it goes to a blank screen, I can unplug just the HDMI, plug it back in and the display is back and everything works normally.   Obviously, Windows is loading up during that blank screen but I am not getting video to the monitor.  Next time I boot, I just have to do the same thing again to get video.

Acer tech support said I should take the computer back to Microcenter and get another.  I've called them and they said bring it back and they have more so i can just change it.  I'll do that in the A.M. I guess because I'm out of things to try.

• jshe
    Answer ✓
    Options

JordanB and others that responded to my plea for help.  I FOUND OUT WHAT WAS WRONG!!!

In my previous post, I said I was taking it back for exchange in the morning.  I uninstalled my email, open office, chrome and printer.  Deleted all of my personal information, bookmarks, and documents and was about to get it ready to box back up when I though I would try one last thing.  

I took a different monitor and plugged it in and it works perfect every time now. The monitor I was using was a VIZIO that has been used with 2 different desktops and as an extended display for a Laptop.  It worked find on those but it won't on this Acer.  I hooked up a Viewsonic and it made all the difference.  Both monitors are the same size, same resolution, etc.  

I've now reinstalled everything back to the way I had it and it's still working perfectly.  I've rebooted a dozen times and never had a glitch.  

I'm happy and thanks for all your help.

• JordanB
    Options

Good job.  

I knew it would be something simple. Smiley Happy

I've set up 4 of them and they are rock solid with both windows 8.1 and windows 10.

• lemlakit
    lemlakit Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Buying a new Desktiop AT3-710-UR52 Question what Applications comes With Windows !0 Home and 

what applications comes with Windows 10 Pro????