Acer AX1935-UR20P Four Beeps

TarlsQtr
TarlsQtr Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi all.

My Acer has begun to freeze occasionally. I have to hard reboot and when I do I get the usual short beep but it is then followed shortly after by four beeps. It then shuts down the CPU but the fan remains on. I then have to reboot again and it will usually boot up and run OK for a time (sometimes it does the four beeps again and I have to repeat the cycle).  

This is not entirely consistent but I have noticed that this happens more often after the computer has sit in sleep mode for a while. It freezes about 10-20 minutes after wake-up and then the cycle begins. If the computer is in continuous use, it happens far less frequently. 

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello TarlsQtr,

I did a memory check (actually twice) and the machine froze on the same bank of RAM. It did not read any errors but could that be indicative of an issue with it?

Yes, this memory module is defective.

I also pulled a bank or RAM, started the machine up and it seems to be running fine. Prior to doing that this morning, the issue was getting much worse. It would give me the death beeps repeatedly or if I did get it to boot, freeze within five minutes. Again, this seems to indicate the RAM is the issue, correct?

If you removed the same defective memory module, that's correct.

Finally, is RAM pretty much interchangable as long as I make sure to get 4GB (my system has 4X2=8GB total) DDR3?

If you want to replace it, you'll find a characters string under the bar code of the sticker. The first ten is the part number. Here are the original parts:

Spoiler
    KN.4GB03.010DIMM.4GB.DDR3.1333.NANYA
    KN.4GB07.002DIMM.4GB.DDR3.1333.KINGSTON
    KN.4GB07.004DIMM.4GB.DDR3.1600.KINGSTON
    KN.4GB0C.002DIMM.4GB.DDR3.1333.A-DATA

I'll need this part number and I'll give you more information.

France

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

Hello Jeff, Sorry your having some issues with your system.... 

I am not a Tech for Acer or do I work as a TECH for another company. I can only off what I have had in the past or may have found in searches..... With that said. 

I am wondering if maybe it could be a Ram issue. Have you done any type of Upgrades? It is something to check out. Even if you haven't upgraded your ram it could be that if you have 2 sticks maybe one is bad of one maybe it is going bad! 

What steps have you already taken to try and figure out what it could be. I would hate to offer info that you have already tried in the event that didn't solve the issue. 

James.

PS what OS are you using as well. Maybe if your using Win10 try mdsched to check your RAM...

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

there is no mention to four beeps on BIOS beep codes.

the longest is a single long beep + 2 long beep and repeat

or

single long beep + 2 short beeps

if your system has 2 ram sticks, you can try to boot with just one.

i would also try to remove the CMOS battery to reset BIOS and check if this can fix your issue.

disconnect the AC power cable, press power button twice, open the right side of your case, the CMOS battery is in the upper side of the motherboard, near the CPU.

take it off and wait 5 minutes, put back the battery, close your case, plug the AC power cable and try to boot.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • TarlsQtr

Tinkerer

James and IronFly,

First, thank you for your responses. 

I have done no upgrades to the machine. It is all factory other than me swapping out a faulty hard drive about a year ago. The original specs are here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103788

Perhaps a little more background is in order. 

I began having issues when I installed Windows 10. I would get the blue screen of death with a different error message just about every time (kernel security check error more than once). I reverted back to Windows 7 and it worked fine. Reinstalled 10 and after working well for a week or two, the computer started having issues again. I reinstalled 7 (factory reset) yesterday but the problem described below is still occurring.

I don't know if Windows 10 is a coincidence or related.

After going to 10 the second time, I would also just get just the screen freeze. No mouse, nothing. It did not matter if I was on something that takes more resources like YouTube or just on a news website. I then hard reboot it. When I turn it back on I usually get four beeps. The CPU then goes off with the fan on. I then hard reboot again and sometimes it will do it again and other times it will reboot and function normally. It is now doing it with Windows 7.

The only other thing I can think of that might be relevant is that it pretty much always does it about 10-15 minutes after being idle for a while. If I get by that danger zone, I can work on the computer all day long with no problems until I leave it and come back.

It is definitely 4 beeps. I searched for it and found nothing online, so I am not entirely surprised that the sequence is not listed. It does the quick "chirp" that you hear whenever you turn it on, then four longer (about a half second each) beeps. 

I took out the CMOS battery for 30 minutes yesterday and it rebooted fine but the machine froze and did it again this morning. 

Thanks again,

Jeff

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

Hello again Jeff Sorry about your Problems....

I am going to start this off with a Warning DON"T TRY THIS AT HOME......................

Ok so I thought to myself maybe not ram but could be CPU and we don't want that to the the issue but I have a Gateway SX2855 that is a H61H2-AD mb. My Acer Aspire XC600's are also the same type H61H2-AD LGA 1155 board however it isn't as limited. and the Gateway is a Acer board LGA1155... Anyway it is a board that don't take the Ivy Bridge CPU's so I thought hummm lets see what could happen. So I elected to try the i3 3240 in the board first from my XC600-UR34 and when I put it in the Gateway MB it didn't boot and only did a 4 beep, After the last beep the Power light stays on but nothing happens besides the fans all power up.......

I thought well not that it would change much but then I took the CPU from my XC600-UR12 that is also a Ivy Bridge but is the i3 3220 and it again gave me no boot with 4 beeps. I don't want to say for sure that it is your issue seeing it is not all the time I gather form your post. But it could be that your CPU is on the out. 

I have a XC115 that just flashes with a Bad onboard AMD E2 6110 CPU so in that case the whole board will need to be replaced. With it there is no beeps unless I remove the ram. Then one long beep so I wasn't sure about the INtel CPU swap and the result. But with the wrong cpu in the ACER/Gateway board does give 4 beeps.....

James

• Hello TarlsQtr,

Your bios programer is AMI with Acer skin.

Here is the standard beep code of AMI:

4 short beeps: System timer failure

The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory.

France
  • TarlsQtr

Tinkerer

Two things to add.

I did a memory check (actually twice) and the machine froze on the same bank of RAM. It did not read any errors but could that be indicative of an issue with it?

I also pulled a bank or RAM, started the machine up and it seems to be running fine. Prior to doing that this morning, the issue was getting much worse. It would give me the death beeps repeatedly or if I did get it to boot, freeze within five minutes. Again, this seems to indicate the RAM is the issue, correct? 

Please keep in mind that I am a beginner wth this. :-)

Finally, is RAM pretty much interchangable as long as I make sure to get 4GB (my system has 4X2=8GB total) DDR3?

Thanks again to everyone!

Jeff

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello TarlsQtr,

Yes, this memory module is defective.

If you removed the same defective memory module, that's correct.

If you want to replace it, you'll find a characters string under the bar code of the sticker. The first ten is the part number. Here are the original parts:

Spoiler
    KN.4GB03.010DIMM.4GB.DDR3.1333.NANYA
    KN.4GB07.002DIMM.4GB.DDR3.1333.KINGSTON
    KN.4GB07.004DIMM.4GB.DDR3.1600.KINGSTON
    KN.4GB0C.002DIMM.4GB.DDR3.1333.A-DATA

I'll need this part number and I'll give you more information.

France
  • TarlsQtr

Tinkerer

Thanks, Laurent_14!

It has been working flawlessly, with the bank of RAM out. I am convinced you are correct and that is the issue.

I was able to do a search for the exact part (It is the Nanya Ram) and found it for $17.11. I ordered it and it is on the way.

Thanks to you and everyone who chipped in to help figure this out. I sincerely appreciate it. 

Jeff

• Hello TarlsQtr,

You're welcome

It is the Nanya Ram

In this case, your desktop is equipped with KN.4GB03.010: Nanya NT4GC64B8HG0NF-CG

Could you check on the picture of the webside if it's the same part number (in bold)?

I prefer to be cautious. In the online shops, we find all and nothing.

Laurent

France
  • TarlsQtr

Tinkerer

Hi Laurent,

I double and triple checked. The part on the website is here: http://www.madepc.com/dp/B015QLAQ6U

It says "Out of Stock" but that is because I bought the last one. 

RAM.PNG

• You are lucky! OK, good work!

I will wait your feedback.

France
  • TarlsQtr

Tinkerer

Hi Laurent,

I received the memory and installed it. It works great and I cannot thank you enough. :-)

Jeff