AXC-603-UR10 CSM Installed OS Will Not Boot & Latest BIOS Update Broken

Options
cship5
cship5 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hello Acer support, I had visited this forum seeking a BIOS update that allowed CSM or "legacy" boot because the computer I purchased from Acer did not offer this much needed and still relevant option.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Desktops-All-In-Ones/Windows-7-on-603-Desktop/m-p/281502#U281502
http://community.acer.com/t5/Desktops-All-In-Ones/Brand-New-Aspire-XC-603G-ACX-603G-UW31-Windows-7-will-not/m-p/222301#U222301

It appeared that Acer support had released an update that addressed the need for CSM boot on 09.17.2014, which I was very happy about. However, at the time of the BIOS update, I had a working Arch Linux UEFI installation. I tested the BIOS update and I could see that CSM installation media could now boot but I didn't try to install another operating system because I was satisfied with the operating system I was currently using, with UEFI mode.

Yesterday, I attempted to use the feature the updated BIOS was supposed to provide, when I installed at least a half dozen different operating systems with CSM mode enabled. The CSM installation media would boot without any issue and the installation of most operating systems would proceed without error messages. However, when I would pull the installation media from the computer and attempt to boot into the freshly installed operating system, I would receive a black screen that said I needed to insert something for the computer to boot from and restart, which means that the operating system is not being recognized on the hard drive. This occurred in debian and several ubuntu variants.

I was under the false impression that the issue I was having when I made the initial BIOS update request had been addressed last month in the P11.B2 update. I have only now realized that the feature the BIOS request was supposed to offer does not work, which is disappointing.

Category Vendor Description                                                                                                  Version     Size    Date     
BIOS      Acer     Change Setup default setting to meet Non-Windows BIOS request. P11.B1L  2.9 MB  2014/10/27
BIOS      Acer     Support "Launch CSM" item in BIOS setup menu.                                P11.B2     2.9 MB  2014/09/17 
BIOS      Acer     BIOS                                                                                                               P11-B0    2.9 MB  2014/05/15   

A new BIOS update was released 10.27.2014 but I am not sure what this BIOS update does because it has a vague description, "Change Setup default setting to meet Non-Windows BIOS request." I would appreciate it if someone could please tell me what this BIOS update will do for someone who does not use Windows because I do not use Windows and I am hoping this BIOS update will address the problem I'm currently having, where CSM installed non-windows operating systems will not boot post installation.

To install this new BIOS update I plugged in a hard drive that has the official Windows 8 installation that came with the computer. The instructions to install P11.B1L request that I click on "flash.bat." This file does not exist in the P11.B1L BIOS zip file. In the previous BIOS update, P11.B2, "flash.bat" does exist and the installation proceeds without issue. When I click on the files in P11.B1L, in an effort to install the BIOS update, I get the error message from the photo below, which indicates that the file I'm trying to execute isn't compatible with 64 bit windows.

http://i.imgur.com/ohcShKG.png

In summary, CSM installed operating systems will not boot post installation and the latest BIOS update which may address the problem is broken because it is missing "flash.bat."

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

the BIOS with L at the end is only to flash under Linux OSs

about the "no boot" after installation:

did you disabled "secure boot"?

did you selected the "HDD" as boot device?

can you try to boot after pressing F12 at boot and choose HDD manually?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    If i remember correctly when you install (there is a check box) that indicates make hdd bootable. if you do not check that box, then it boots to the MEDIA.. several 3d party programs can address and correct it.. You might also check in the BIOs to select boot to HDD as 1st. boot then save F10 & exit... remove the media, and see if it boots to HDD, if not then read carefully the install and look for x to make HDD Bootable.