AVG took out my sound by isolating a few Windows 8.1 updates.

Options
cezzwho
cezzwho Member Posts: 1 New User

My Aspire  XC-603G has lost it's sound since AVG quarantined a Windows 8.1 update & I uninstalled AVG before I knew I was supposed to get the update out of their virus vault. There are a lot of people with this problem from what I've seen at Microsoft.com and There are tons of "fixes," none of which work for me or are beyond my tech skills. AVG will not take responsiblity and want $69.00 to fix it & I'm a paying customer, most use the free service. I downloaded and installed drivers from Acer & there's no difference. When I sign on now, my computer says I have windows updates waiting, go to "settings" and install them. I go to settings and click "update" and the white box that comes up never populates itself with directions, it stays white. I got to the place where it says to put a check in the box for Windows to download automatically and no matter how many times I click it, nothing ever shows up in the box. I'm been fighting this for many months, hours and hours. If I lived on a sheer cliff, I would have thrown this thing out the window. I hope someone can help. Thank you.  

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

do you have the speaker icon near clock&date?

if you right click it and choose playback devices, which kind of devices are listed?

any yellow exclamation mark on Device manager?

windows key logo + x

choose device manager

do you know the update code number? (kb********)

I'm not an Acer employee.