ATC-780A; problem updating BIOS

Options
Jonomite
Jonomite Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited February 29 in 2018 Archives

Greetings,

I am having trouble updating my BIOS on this machine. I am currently on BIOS version R02-A0, and I see on Acer's website that there is an updated version for R02-A0.

I downloaded the utility, unzipped it, and ran "flash.bat." When I run the utility, I receive the following error message:

"10 - Error: Unable to load driver."

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Jonomite

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

I discovered the solution. For the benefit of folks who encounter this issue in the future, here's what I had to do:

1. It is NOT sufficient to right-click on flash.bat and run as administrator. You will error out.

2. The solution is to open a command prompt window with administrator privileges. To do this, right-click on the start menu icon, and click on command prompt (admin). This is a critical step.

3. Navigate to the folder where you saved the extracted files. 

4. Type flash.bat.

This should do the trick. 

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if you have any third party antivirus, disable it. (AVG, Avira, McAfee)

also right click flash.bat too and choose to run as administrator.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Jonomite

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks. I'll try this and report back.
  • Jonomite

Tinkerer

Options

I use Windows Defender, and disabled real-time protection. I then right-clicked on "flash.bat" and clicked "Run as administrator." I continued to receive the same error.

• Jonomite

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

I discovered the solution. For the benefit of folks who encounter this issue in the future, here's what I had to do:

1. It is NOT sufficient to right-click on flash.bat and run as administrator. You will error out.

2. The solution is to open a command prompt window with administrator privileges. To do this, right-click on the start menu icon, and click on command prompt (admin). This is a critical step.

4. Type flash.bat.

• Radiofan
    Radiofan Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Acer released a BIOS Version R02-A4, and when I followed Acer's instructions the update failed.  I followed jonomite's instructions and the BIOS updated.  As stated, the key is to make sure you open a command prompt window with elevated/administrator privileges even if you are logged in as an administrator.

The BIOS that came loaded on my computer was R02-A0, and Acer is a bit vague on what R02-A4 updates, but it looks like it patches a security hole.  One would hope that Acer will send a push notification via their Acer Care Center utility if the BIOS update is critical.  The weird thing is that this is a new computer (a week old as of this writing), and I was surprised to see what appears to be a very early BIOS.
  • OnlyTrustMetal
    OnlyTrustMetal Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Jonomite said:

4. Type flash.bat.

How do I navigate to the folder in CMD? I downloaded extracted the bios zip straight to the downloads folder and inside the folder I see four other ones, appendix, efi, rom, and win.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,928 Trailblazer
    Options
    How do I navigate to the folder in CMD? I downloaded extracted the bios zip straight to the downloads folder and inside the folder I see four other ones, appendix, efi, rom, and win.
    You use the CD command:

cd C:\Users\<your username>\Downloads

You can skip the C:, but your need the '\'. If your username isn't obvious (and it's usually not anymore) use File Explorer to list the contents of the Users folder and then it should be fairly obvious which one is yours.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.