ATC-780 AMZi5 Updated BIOS available

miklet
miklet Member Posts: 33 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Woohoo, successfully updated Aspire ATC-780 AMZi5 BIOS to the new version listed on the support/BIOS page. Read the pdf instructions for EUFI and WinFlash. The EUFI approach intimidated me, where as the WinFlash version was short and I felt more confident with the instructions.

Download

Unzip

Run WinFlash

Watch until complete

Restart (go into BIOS - on my machine, press DEL when ACER logo appears)

Use Exit menu in BIOS

Select restore defaults

Select save and exit

Nice when something works and I don't mess up the whole computer.

Answers

• rocketeer
    rocketeer Member Posts: 4 New User

Miklet,

As a new owner of an ATC-780 (a UR61) I appreciate your sharing information. I hope I can add some useful observations sometime soon.

I have some questions regarding the BIOS update:

1) Is there a particular reason you decided to update?

I've always heard, regarding the BIOS: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Perhaps you or someone else could enlighten me here. I've gone through a number of computers but never updated a BIOS.

2) Where did you find the instructions you spoke of? Were they downloaded with the update? (Couldn't find "support/BIOS page")

and,

3) Do you know the reason for the "Restore Defaults" step? Was some setting changed during the update?

Thanks for taking the time to post about your upgrade -- good luck with it! And thanks to you or anyone who has information about updating a BIOS.

• miklet

It is risky to change BIOS

I take many risks when it comes to computers in my home. Pretty sure I did not "need" this BIOS update. But, I personnally enjoy maintaining my equipment....zealously.

If a computer is working fine for a given user and all attached devices are working well, the BIOS update is likely a meaningless risk for some users to take.

I was afraid to try the UEFI path -TOO RISKY for even me, hah!

I was not afraid to use the WINFLASH tool. So I downloaded that first.

To gain access to these files, programs, updates and such, I had to register at Acer and registering the PC may also have helped. Once registered, go to Acer support page, put in your SNID or S/N (from the sticker on the side of the machine)

The attached photo shows more

Did this answer your questions?

• miklet

photo of download page attached

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

Revised image added 10/31/16 10:30 PM CST (subject to approval)

ATC-780 BIOS path.PNG

• miklet

Step for restore defaults is precautionary, to ensure the user has not changed a setting while looking around.

If a user had perhaps changed the Boot Order to have the USB go first at startup, reset would put the HDD first again.

The other perspective is this

I do mess around in the BIOS, trying setting and performing tasks, mostly Booting from CD/DVD or USB's.

When I select reset to defaults, (in my instance) I return to certain tabs in the BIOS to make just the changes I want in place, then SAVE and EXIT.

Last thoughts, If you are not in need to changing the BIOS for a performance reason, a person might just want to read about the reason for the BIOS update, maybe save the BIOS file to a storage spot, and do nothing else.

• rocketeer
    rocketeer Member Posts: 4 New User

Good information, miklet. Thanks much. Your practice of using "restore defaults" as a routine precaution against accidental BIOS changes seems like a wise one.

I was curious partly because in another post you had mentioned adding a SSD; and I had noticed that one of the BIOS "fixes" had something to do with long SSD file names causing a problem (or something similar). So wondered if you'd encountered an issue.

I'll probably be skipping the BIOS update for the time being.

Thanks again!