ACER says make sure your bios is updated before updating to windows 10

leahmay74
leahmay74 Member Posts: 17 New User

What I'm frustrated about is that there's no guide on how to do this. I've downloaded the lates update from acer. Yes my bios needs updating. When I go to update to windows 10 it hangs at 84%.. I'm pretty sure it's because my Bios needs to be updated like acer says. There's readme txt files within the downloaded zip file, but nothing staightforward. Theres 3 folders Dostool, ROM and Wintool. Which application do I click in order to start the process?

Which folder do I choose? There's general guides out there but nothing specific for my system. Aspire z3620. I'd just like to get this Bios updated, get some drivers updated and try updating to windows 10 again.

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

I just want to say sounds like you would be better off using the WIN version of doing the Update.....

With that said next thing make sure that your new BIOS is the right one... IF you have B stick with B if A stick with A and so on. If you need to know the one you have now best way to look is got to the Run box. type in msinfo32 press enter. It will be about half way down....

Once you DL the right update..... you will unpack it. Then to the folder you unpacked it you go to the WIN folder....

Double click on the .BAT file. It will ask you if you want to run this file. Click yes..... Once you see it done you restart your computer.... ONce you hear the beep or right as you see the Acer logo hit the DEL button to go to Bios. Then after it does its thing, Go to the last menu and click Load Default settings.... once that is done click F10 and say yes to save and exit.....

James

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi leahmay74,

Thanks for the feedback and I believe Revomaxx has you on the right path. We've certainly identified our BIOS update process as a point of emphasis and we've worked hard over the last couple years to improve it. We've almost exclusively in Winflash, where you just need to download and run the executable, and we've tried to improve our readme and descriptions to indicate what is being done. I understand that may not help you specifically, but we are improving these processes.

Thanks,
    Cory

• leahmay74

Hi Cory, 

Acer-Cory wrote:

Hi leahmay74,

Thanks for the feedback and I believe Revomaxx has you on the right path. We've certainly identified our BIOS update process as a point of emphasis and we've worked hard over the last couple years to improve it. We've almost exclusively in Winflash, where you just need to download and run the executable, and we've tried to improve our readme and descriptions to indicate what is being done. I understand that may not help you specifically, but we are improving these processes.

Thanks,
    Cory

Hi Cory, 

I actually didn't feel comfortable updating the Bios myself. So I brought my computer in to have a tech try and update it, as well try and update to windows 10. They were successful at updating the Bios on the third attempt, and they updated all the drivers. The problem I was having trying to update windows 10 is that it would just hang at 84%. Unfortunatly, updating the Bios and drivers didn't help. It still hangs at 84%. Hopefully they come out with a new patch to fix this problem. Or I'll have to wait for windows 10 release I guess. 

• RevoMaxx

I am not sure why it don't want to let you do the upgrade to 10. However looking over your system, if I have the right system, It looks like your CPU may be the issue! It is a Sandy Bridge CPU and sadly Intel don't have support for the Sandy Bridge line of CPU's for windows 10. That also is part of the line that offers the HD 2000 and 3000 graphics and they also can't run windows 10 or I should say isn't supported in Windows 10

Also you can find your CPU here in this list of Supported CPUs from intel's website. There you can find the CPU and what software it supports. Also remember that in some cases not all cases even if it shows a CPU is supported for a line of software, it maybe that the Bios or another factor can limit it. 

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm

your CPU is listed in the second set of CPUs under Pentium. Again if your system don't have the Intel G645 as the one I know about does. Then look up your cpu on that list. If it is a Sandy Bridge it is a no go for 10.  

Hope this helps some. 

James

• leahmay74

RevoMaxx wrote:

I am not sure why it don't want to let you do the upgrade to 10. However looking over your system, if I have the right system, It looks like your CPU may be the issue! It is a Sandy Bridge CPU and sadly Intel don't have support for the Sandy Bridge line of CPU's for windows 10. That also is part of the line that offers the HD 2000 and 3000 graphics and they also can't run windows 10 or I should say isn't supported in Windows 10

Also you can find your CPU here in this list of Supported CPUs from intel's website. There you can find the CPU and what software it supports. Also remember that in some cases not all cases even if it shows a CPU is supported for a line of software, it maybe that the Bios or another factor can limit it. 

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm

your CPU is listed in the second set of CPUs under Pentium. Again if your system don't have the Intel G645 as the one I know about does. Then look up your cpu on that list. If it is a Sandy Bridge it is a no go for 10.  

Hope this helps some. 

James

Hi James, thanks for the info. Yes my sandy bridge Intel Pentium Processor G620 is pretty low budget and old.

Same with the graphics card. Do you know what would be the best upgrade if possible? 

• RevoMaxx

Well to tell you the truth. You have a great Machine there, I know it won't do 10 and not 100% sure but other then adding Ram to the Max from 4 to 8 there isn't much a AIO can change out, I would use that for now

I do know if your looking for a new (Reason to buy a new computer for Christmas LOL) WalMart has some in my Area anyway XC703 and 704 and a all in one kind of like yours just smaller screen for Win10 however. In my area the 704 is starting at 250 then you need a monitor, if you stay with in stock acer 24" it would add 150. Then there is the AIO just 19.5" with Win10 at 349. Your area could be higher or lower

However if you want to spend some money on a good ssytem they do have some Desktops at the Acer Store that will give you better upgrade flexability. For me that is important My next ssytem that I want to buy is a Aspire TC-605 or 705 It cost little more then ones from Walmart but have more and the ability to Grow more in the future. 

Sorry it isn't always what we want to hear. I know that computers are great and like a car they can only take us so far in life. Sometimes we can make them take us futher then they were desigened for however we have to deal with the issues along the way Smiley Happy

James

• leahmay74

RevoMaxx wrote:

Well to tell you the truth. You have a great Machine there, I know it won't do 10 and not 100% sure but other then adding Ram to the Max from 4 to 8 there isn't much a AIO can change out, I would use that for now

I do know if your looking for a new (Reason to buy a new computer for Christmas LOL) WalMart has some in my Area anyway XC703 and 704 and a all in one kind of like yours just smaller screen for Win10 however. In my area the 704 is starting at 250 then you need a monitor, if you stay with in stock acer 24" it would add 150. Then there is the AIO just 19.5" with Win10 at 349. Your area could be higher or lower

However if you want to spend some money on a good ssytem they do have some Desktops at the Acer Store that will give you better upgrade flexability. For me that is important My next ssytem that I want to buy is a Aspire TC-605 or 705 It cost little more then ones from Walmart but have more and the ability to Grow more in the future. 

Sorry it isn't always what we want to hear. I know that computers are great and like a car they can only take us so far in life. Sometimes we can make them take us futher then they were desigened for however we have to deal with the issues along the way Smiley Happy

James

Yes I hear you there, lol. I guess we should be thankful for what we have and I agree this is a great machine, I love it. It's unfortunate they didn't make it to upgrade much though. I guess if I really want windows 10 that bad, I'll end up buying a new computer eventually. I actually just bought this one 2 weeks ago. Didnt know anything about windows 10 until after I bought it of course. I'm going to look into the one you mentioned Aspire TC-605 or 705. I love Acer machines :-) Again thanks for the info. I finally know what direction I have to take. And give up trying to update this machine.. now I wish that tempting little windows 10 icon would disappear from my taskbar..lol!

• RevoMaxx

I would need to get back to a point where I have the logo asking me... When it first came out Windows 10 icon. IT came up on my machine and I was so behind times with life lOL that I thought I got seomthing funky on my machine. I think I just deleted it or there was a box asking if I don't want to ask again. I can't remember but I was like GO away... Then I was like opps that was ligit lol I had to force it to come back

Without having a machine right now with it there, I would say try and right click it and see of there is an option to remove the request.

James

Anytime any help is needed I am sure there is someone if not me that can help from the Acer Comminity. Be Well

• leahmay74

RevoMaxx wrote:

I would need to get back to a point where I have the logo asking me... When it first came out Windows 10 icon. IT came up on my machine and I was so behind times with life lOL that I thought I got seomthing funky on my machine. I think I just deleted it or there was a box asking if I don't want to ask again. I can't remember but I was like GO away... Then I was like opps that was ligit lol I had to force it to come back

Without having a machine right now with it there, I would say try and right click it and see of there is an option to remove the request.

James

Anytime any help is needed I am sure there is someone if not me that can help from the Acer Comminity. Be Well

Hi James,

That's funny, I thought the same thing when i seen the logo there, I was thinking, great some kind of adware, lol.

Anyways, It's good to know I have a place to come to if I ever get stuck again. Thanks for all your inputSmiley Happy

• dmmackay
    dmmackay Member Posts: 5 New User

I realize it might be a bit late for suggestions- and I'm just a NEWB-
    But a couple of things that come to mind if you can get the OS to boot up are:
    1 Remove Win 10 update from the installed updates?
    2. System Restore?

3. Safe Mode?
    All of these may not be an option- if the system was Reformatted.. and I"m not sure of the upgrade process and how far you got with it...and what it had done!

I'm not one for Win 8 or 10.  To Android Like for me!

Well, I just stumbled upon this site and post- doing a Google Search- because:

As a Hobby I repair Computers and give then away to people that don't have one (Mostly Seniors and Studens).
    But I have 2 Acer Aspire 3000's and managed to get one to work....( I most do desktops and only a couple of laptops)
    However; the Battery has been causing some issues- for one - it's not charging correctly....(now the battery may be old- but it shows it's charging to about 7% .. and then says not charging.. and when the power was unplugged said it was charging.. Also causing some issues booting continuously.. and not allowing the touchpad to work correctly, etc.)

Seems to all work pretty good- with the battery out..

Having said all this... I found a Post on another site about doing a BIOS Update to Correct the Problem with Charging the battery RE: Bios Update.
    So, I guess I'll start a new post.

Hope it all- or something Good Came out of this for you!