Iconia A1 - Google Play Apps Download / Update Problem

Options
mkcn77
mkcn77 Member Posts: 8 New User

Hi, I have the A1-840FHD (Android 4.4.2) and am experiencing major problems with downloading and updating apps.

Apps seems to hang on the pending download bar for an eternity and when one of them actually decides to download it takes another eternity.

E.g. Have been downloading the Google+ Update for the last 15 minutes and still only 15.55MB of 28.16MB.

Here is what I have tried:

• Clear Cache / Clear Data / Force Stop on Google Play Services / Google Play Store / Download Manager
  • Reset App Preferences
  • Factory Reset
  • Reset WiFi router
  • And checked for update to device but there isn't any

I have a 2G or 5G connection with a download speed of 50MB+.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Best Answer

• mkcn77
    Answer ✓
    Options

This seems to have sorted itself out now.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Double check the download speed with an internet speed test, such as speedtest.net. That will help isolate actual network speed from the equation.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mkcn77
    Options

Double checked and can confirm it's 50MB+ on both Iconia and PC, both on 5G and 2G channel.

Taken me pretty much the whole day to update each app one by one, some failing to update at all and some taking an age.

Have disabled a load of in-house apps as they were getting stuck - Acer Life Clock being one of them.

• billsey
    Options

OK, now that we know it's not the wireless connection itself we need to either look at what apps are running or how much room there is in storage.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mkcn77
    Options

Never that many and plenty, are the roundabout answers.

I've managed to update everything now - many hours later - and disabled a lot of the stuff but still certain apps don't want to update, like Google Calendar (whereas all the other Google apps have) and Astro File Manager.  Maybe it's something that will sort itself out.

Off topic Q, should it be intriguing enough to be answered Billsey. If I set up a new user account (not restricted) and disabled an app (including updates) from within the new user account, would you expect this to have an effect on the other user's account, if they were using the app?

• billsey
    Options

Boy, I don't know how Android handles user permissions, but I'd expect the user who wants to use it would get updates and the user who has it disabled would not see it. I'd also expect that the updates would only actually happen when that second user is logged on.

• mkcn77
    Answer ✓
    Options

This seems to have sorted itself out now.

• Franile4220
    Franile4220 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi, I am unable to download attachments from E-mails?  Also, I cannot open anything when searching....help