ERROR 1004 WHEN WE WANT TO UPDATE ACER A1-810 FROM 4.2.2 TO 4.4.2

Options
fuongvo
fuongvo Member Posts: 1 New User

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    Know issue on acer server, still to be fixed.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • yoshm
    yoshm Member Posts: 15 New User
    Options

IronFly wrote:
    Know issue on acer server, still to be fixed.

Any workaround available?

Is the KK update available from another official route, e.g., on the Acer site?

• IronFly
    Options

yoshm wrote:
    Any workaround available?

Is the KK update available from another official route, e.g., on the Acer site?

not yet on both.

They are aware of the problem and still investigating.

• MidnightFirepaw
    MidnightFirepaw Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Getting the same problem, And one of their customer service reps told me it's a problem with the hardware on the tablet, and I'd need to get it sent in. If it's a server side issue, why is it that it's been over three weeks since a fix? I'm sorry, but when I'm told to send in a tablet, when that's not even the issue.... Grrr.... i love Acer, but it seems they really need to get it together.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi All,

I apolgozie for the misscommunication (especially MidnightFirepaw), the error occuring when attempting to do update the system is due to the fact that we've switched from using a FOTA (Firmware of the air) process to using Acer Live Update. Attempting to check for updates manually can cause you to connect to the FOTA server returning the error.

Please go to Settings -> About Tablet -> System Updates and make sure the option to automatically check for updates is checked. I was informed that it could take several hours for the initial check.

• IronFly
    Options

if i remember correctly, you can try to shorten the wait of automatic check, selecting the option and rebooting the device with data connection available.

• MidnightFirepaw
    Options

Thing is, I have the tablet constanly connected to the internet. I've also factory reset the tablet a bunch of times, thinking corruption was the issue. On top of that I've reflashed the Stock ROM back on using Acer provided ones and I still can't get that update. Is there any way, if I can't get the update via actual update, I can get some sort of OTA ROM to flash in?

• Cory-Acer
    Options

Our support unit here in the US just received the unit yesterday. The US and Canada are step behind the world wide release since we actually have seperate images.

• MidnightFirepaw
    Options

So Canada's update system is still behind? Any way I can trick the tablet into connecting to a US server?

• yoshm
    Options

Acer-Cory wrote:

Hi All,

I apolgozie for the misscommunication (especially MidnightFirepaw), the error occuring when attempting to do update the system is due to the fact that we've switched from using a FOTA (Firmware of the air) process to using Acer Live Update. Attempting to check for updates manually can cause you to connect to the FOTA server returning the error.

Please go to Settings -> About Tablet -> System Updates and make sure the option to automatically check for updates is checked. I was informed that it could take several hours for the initial check.

Acer-Cory wrote:

Our support unit here in the US just received the unit yesterday. The US and Canada are step behind the world wide release since we actually have seperate images.

@Acer-Cory,

1. Do I understand correctly that "Automatic update" will connect to the correct server, while the manual update does not (or might not)? (I've had it on automatio for over a week & it still hasn't informed me of any updates...)
    2. Is IronFly right about how to "force" a connection to the update server?
    3. When does Acer expect to fix this FOTA/Live conflict? Is it region-specific?
    4. Will a connection to the update server bring any version of 4.2.2 up to KitKat, or must we first manually update to RV27 first?
    5. Is there any region in the world specifically excluded from getting the KitKat update? I am in Israel and the local outsourced tech support says as far as they know Acer is not providing any update beyond JB. (They don't seem to read this forum...)
    6. Is the US server now providing the update? Will it provide to any machine or only ones that were sold in the US? I ask because I'll be in the US in a couple weeks - when I connect to the internet, will it feed me the update (if I haven't already gotten it)?

Thanks for all your help.

Best,
    Yosh

• IronFly
    Options

I can give you some answers:

1) Yes, you understand correctly. I don't have the A1-810 on my hands but on smartphones if you check (system settings/app/All) on the applications list, you will find "Acer live updater" and "system updater".

those 2 applications check the OS updates, (i don't remember which), one is the manual check, the other the automatic check.

The manual check has the old server address.

2) Yes Smiley Very Happy as far as i remember, that was the trick to speed up the check, it's not 100% proof to be honest, but on some case it helped to find the updates.

3-4-5-6) i can't answer, not an Acer employee Smiley Very Happy 

• yoshm
    Options

IronFly wrote:

I can give you some answers:

1) Yes, you understand correctly. I don't have the A1-810 on my hands but on smartphones if you check (system settings/app/All) on the applications list, you will find "Acer live updater" and "system updater".

those 2 applications check the OS updates, (i don't remember which), one is the manual check, the other the automatic check.

The manual check has the old server address.

2) Yes Smiley Very Happy as far as i remember, that was the trick to speed up the check, it's not 100% proof to be honest, but on some case it helped to find the updates.

3-4-5-6) i can't answer, not an Acer employee Smiley Very Happy 

Thanks. FYI, auto-check + restart has not found me the update....  I do indeed have those two apps. Looking forward to Cory's (or other employee's) replies.

thanks!

• Cory-Acer
    Options

There is no conflict with FOTA and ALU. We moved to ALU for a reason (I don't know for sure, but I'm sure it would involve providing additional flexibility, and of course, if it's saves money...), so that's not something that needs to be fixed, it's just different.

There is an update required that was pushed in the weeks prior that prepared the 4.2.2 for the Kitkat update, but it did not install Kitkat. This should be required prior to the update to KK.

There are no regions not getting the update that I'm aware of. To be more specific, Isreal is not blacked out from what I've been able to find out.

For the US and Canada, they have unique images, it doesn't mean that you have to be in the US or Canada specifically, it just means that for that image, it's looking for a specific upgrade path which we loosely refer to by the region (US and Canada).

Also, remember that it is rolling out in waves to prevent congestion with the server providing the update. It maybe still take some time. As far as Ironfly's trick, if your system is ready to receive the update, instead of waiting for the next manual check (which can take upto 12 hours), restarting it will run the check again, it's not going to force it to show.

• yoshm
    Options

Cory,

Thanks for the great answers. I understand that FOTA and ALU are simply alternatives - not that one is "bad." However,the 1004 error is a problem that I hope Acer is working to fix. In any case, re-starting my tablet did not inform me of a pending update. I manually upgraded to RV27, FYI, using the SD card.

Is the "pre-update" that you mention available only through the update service? Do I already have it once I moved to RV27? I have not gotten any notification of any update - not the pre nor the KK. However, two of my tablets were turned off until about a week ago and the third was just bought a few days ago, so it was also off then. Has the pre-update continued to be pushed for those who didnt' get it yet?

Is there anyone you know of in International Support who can tell us (or you) if Israel is supposed to already have the update? Or when it is scheduled to roll out?

many thanks,
    Yosh

• MidnightFirepaw
    Options

So if I have Image version Acer_AV052_A1-810_RV27RC02_PA_CA with build number Acer_AV052_A1-810_1.119.00_PA_CA I'm good in terms of having the right software as a prep for 4.4? Also, any idea when Canada will be available for the update?

• yoshm
    Options

@Acer-Cory,

Great news - my A1-810 tablet notified me a few hours ago that a new update is available & that it is the pre-update for going to KitKat. Here's a picture:

20140810_123151.jpg

(sorry for the reflection - this was before I learned how to do a screen capture on this device)

This happened with the Automatic update service - not by my manually checking. 

After I finished the above update I was notified of the second update:

Screenshot_2014-08-10-13-01-57.png

I also went and tried the manual update - and got the same above message. I don't know if it tried manually checking the service or simply reported what it had already learned through the auto service.

I completed the update and am now running KitKat, as you can see here:

Screenshot_2014-08-10-17-09-07.png

Lastly, I checked the update service manually again, and I did NOT get the 1004 error - this time I got a message that my device is up-to-date!

So I am glad to report that, at least for me, both problems are solved. Update service is working & reachable and I am updated.

Thank you,

Yosh

• IronFly
    Options

Great!

Enjoy your A1-810 and KK

• artmanr
    artmanr Member Posts: 20 New User
    Options
    Unfortunately you may end up regretting the KK update. JB was running fine for Netflix and I was even able to stream Amazon Instant Video using Firefox. Now, Netflix is just garbled video that freezes after about 20 second. Audio still works, so go figure. With KK there is less support for Adobe Flash than before and Firefox doesn't stream Amazon Instant Video anymore. Bummer!! This is a pretty worthless tablet now unless Acer comes up with a fix. I can understand the Flash problem. But, Netflix? That should work all the time every time.
  • wolf0
    wolf0 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Hey artmanr.What about the sd card?after KK update,can u still modify files from 3rd part apps like photo editors and file browsers (ES file browsers 4ex.)?

• Just_Another_N0
    Just_Another_N0 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Even now, in Canada, I still get the 1004 ERROR. No luck!