Connecdting A1-830 to Win7 computer

Options
keyplyr
keyplyr Member Posts: 8 New User

Installed the driver, computer still says "USB Device Not Recognised... one of the USB devices connected to the computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it..."

Suggestions? Thanks

Answers

• Aussie
    Aussie Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options

Hi,

I suggest you open the device Manager and uninstall the USB Hub. Check then for new hardware and Windows will reinstall the drivers. Reboot and see if that fixes the original problem.

• keyplyr
    Options

Thanks, hadn't considered the USB hub having the issue, but now that you mention it, I had the same issue (device not recognized) with my camera recently, so that makes sense.

• Aussie

Tinkerer

Options

Let us know if it works...

• keyplyr
    Options

Yes I will, but it may take a few days till I get to it  Smiley Happy

Thanks again

• keyplyr
    Options

Didn't help, same drivers were installed back and Windows says the device is working properly and I'm using the best driver.

The USb port that is not recognizing the tablet *is* working properly when I connect an external flash drive for system backups, although it sometimes takes several attempts.

I was able to accomplish file transfers using bluetooth.  I even moved a few files attached to emails. There's always a way Smiley Happy

• Aussie

Tinkerer

Options

Hi,

OK... It seems that we are having the same problem with some variations (see my post below Aussie).

I spent a lot of time dealing with the Acer support and they did not fix the problem. It looks like this tablet does not have the proper drivers for Windows. In my case everything "is working properly" and Windows has "the best driver for my device" (big lie! It is a Microsoft driver dated June 2006). Windows apparently does not like the Acer drivers. I unzipped the file from Acer put them in a folder in drive C:, tried to install them but Windows persists saying the it has already "the best drivers". Even if I stop Windows doing it automatically, it still does not work.

In my case, I can see it in My Computer the Portable Device/A1-830 with 2 entries: the internal sdcard and the external (my card) but when browsing, I cannot see a lot of folders. Somehow Windows misses them. Typical symptom of bad drivers however Acer insists that the device is a "plug and play and Windows will see everything"... Another big lie. At least in my case.

So, do not waste your time. Install the app File Manager Pro V 1.6 (costs only $ 3.00), turn on your WiFi, check the IP address of your PC (run IPCONFIG), enter that address in the File Manager settings and off you go. Fast and secure, better than the USB connection.

There are other options if you want to play a bit. In Google Play there are lots of WiFi File Transfer aps where you can access the tablet from the PC and transfer files between them. Play with Aptoid as well.

I don't think you have a problem with your USB ports. The problem is the tablet...

Cheers!

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Remember that under MTP some android folders will be hidden by default, not drivers problem.

Under Windows 7 you can try to manually install drivers and force it even if Windows says it has "the best drivers for your device".

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/1473-how-to-force-a-manual-driver-isntall-in-win-7

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • keyplyr
    Options

I'm convinced the problem is the driver Acer has for download for the A1-830 is incorrect.

I did force this driver to be installed in my Win7 64bit machine, and the tablet is still not recognized. We need the correct driver.

• IronFly
    Options

That's strange since MTP is really a plug&play USB connection and basic windows drivers must work.

• Aussie

Tinkerer

Options

You're right but not the folders created by the user. In my case, I have almost 300 folders in the Fiction e Books and I can't see around the half of them if I use the device as Media Device...

• keyplyr
    Options

Well it is NOT "right" for me. As I've stated, despite installing the driver that Acer furnishes us, Win7 64bit machine DOES NOT recognize the Acer A1-830 tablet when connected USB.

I feel Acer is accountable for this and I expect Acer to supply a solution. I will delay writing my reviews on this product and Acer's level of support until I see what action Acer takes and the time envolved.

• Aussie

Tinkerer

Options

I think they don't care at all about this. Maybe they have the perception that because it is a cheap(er) product it does not deserve much attention. If it breaks, they'll replace it and that's all. Maybe I am wrong...

The time I spent on the phone with several members of the so called support last week depresses me. They kept passing the buck to someone else and finally they sent me to an external company that looks after the "out of scope and warranty" (their words) that wanted to charge me for a consultation. I reacted badly and finally a support guy, very professional I'd say, conceded in having a look at what I was talking about and downloaded, opened the ZIP file and analysed it and concluded, "yes, there's something wrong but there's nothing I can do". I emailed Acer back and decided to put an end to the saga.

The interesting thing is that Acer emailed me asking to participate of a "satisfaction" survey. When I clicked the link to the survey, it was not available anymore. He, he, he... I was going to let the dogs out on them but did not have the chance. No further communication re this issue...

• IronFly
    Options
    Can you both, copy/paste the hardwareIDs of A1-830 when connected to your pc?
  • keyplyr
    Options

Maybe you didn't read where i said the PC DID NOT connect to the Acer.

• IronFly
    Options

So your PC can't even find an unknow device?

keyplyr wrote:

The USb port that is not recognizing the tablet *is* working properly when I connect an external flash drive for system backups, although it sometimes takes several attempts.

This is not a good sign from your PC, are you sure isn't something wrong hardware wise?

• IronFly
    Options

I'm trying to help you, nothing else.

When you connect an USB device to a PC, you hear a sound then windows start to search for drivers or ask you to install them if it can't find one.

If your PC can't even understand when an USB device is connected is not good (doesn't even appear as yellow exclamation mark or unknow device); you told that: The USb port that is not recognizing the tablet *is* working properly when I connect an external flash drive for system backups, although it sometimes takes several attempts.

This is not good on your PC.

Aussie issue, is another thing: he can't see all the user content on the storage.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

I wonder if it's as simple as a bad cable?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Aussie

Tinkerer

Options

Hi,

I am curious now... My hardwareID is:

Portable Device: A1-830

Hardware Id Values:

USB\VID_0502&PID_3603&REV_0224

UDB\VID_0502&PID_3603

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 21-Jun-06

Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Driver Signer: Windows

These are installed automatically. I disable the automatic install and tried manually install the Acer drivers, it did not like and returned to the originals state.

Just for the record, the cable is OK.

Keyplr, I assume, must have tried another USB port. Every PC has at least two ports. Most have four. When I asked to uninstall/install the HUB drivers usually this fixes Windows hickups. If not, it may be circuitry in the motherboard itself. It rarely happens but one never knows. I do not think he has a hardware problem.

Breaking News (!): This morning I connected the Acer to the PC and this time I cannot see one folder at all! The Fiction folder disappeared. Before I could see at least half of the sub-folders...

Also, Windows could not install the drivers for CLOVERVIEW! Very weird this behaviour...

Cheers!

• keyplyr
    Options

No harware problems. Dell Venue docks jsut fine via USB, no additional drivers needed. Will return the Acer A1-830 Tuesday after holiday.

• Aussie

Tinkerer

Options

Godd luck Keyplr. Pls let us know if you get a replacement, if the new unit is happier with W7.

What holiday? Ah! You're in America...

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.