Acer iconia tab 8 (A1-840) doesn't respond to power/vol up reset.

Ilja1
Ilja1 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

New unit. Tried the reset with power volume up but nothing happens. Screen is completely blank. I know power works to it. Really at a loss. Would like some input before having to return it.

Answers

• wbandrews
    wbandrews Member Posts: 5 New User

My new one does the same thing. I try over and over and nothing. I pick it up a few minutes later and try again and it boots up. It's almost like there's a virus or something on it. I don't know what to think.

• laajr
    laajr Member Posts: 7 New User

Seeing the same issue on my 840. Has there been any resolution to this? I spoke with Acer via chat the other day when this happened and they wanted me to send it in for repair. 2 hours later it booted up and worked fine until today when it was dead again on power up. 

Since several users are experiencing this issue with the 840, it would be nice to know the cause. I'm not going to send a 2 week old unit in for repair and wait 3 to 4 weeks to get it back. Unfortunately, the store of purchase no longer has stock. Acer will not do an exchange, only repair. Probably going to have to purchase something else. With my luck I would send it in for repair and the unit would boot up. I'd get it back with "no problem found".

We purchased the prior model, A1-830 last year and it has worked great. 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

I'm not sure you are all experiencing the same issue. The original poster was trying to do a hard reset of the tablet with the "press and hold the power and volume keys simultaneously", and it sounds like you are trying to just turn it on with the power button?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • laajr

The problem arises after the 840 is left in sleep mode. Usually a momentary press of the pwr button brings the unit up. With the failure, even holding the pwr button down does not bring the 840 on. When I've done the hard reset (vol and pwr button) sequence, on 2 occasions, the unit has restarted. Today even the hard reset would not reboot the 840. 

I believe we are seeing the same issue; the hard reset (vol/pwr button) sequence is not bringing the 840 back up. When I've placed the 840 into sleep mode, I've verified that the battery was still at 60-70% capacity so I know it's not a dead battery. It doesn't matter if it's plugged in or not. Last week when this happened, the hard reset did not work initially, but 2 hours later it did. Today, no such luck....

• billsey

Have you tried the long power press to shut down fully before trying a reset? If the OS is just stuck in sleep mode it should succeed in a power down (30 second press I think?) and then power back on normally. Trying a reset when it's running but stuck in sleep shouldn't work, I would think.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

it reminds me to an old android bug about deep sleep....too much deep Smiley Happy

have you checked if any OTA system update is available?

settings/about phone/system updates

if not, the only solution is to send device to Acer.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • laajr

Yep, that worked! I held down the pwr button for 30 secs + and then released. I then did a a normal pwr on (not momentary press) and it booted up. Android icon and then booted the OS....

So, is it stuck in a deep sleep? I'm running 4.4.4 which is latest for this tablet. Is it a  firmware or hardware issue? Perhaps the way the CPU is handling sleep mode?

I'm wondering if others are seeing this issue since updating to 4.4.4...

• IronFly

Yep, it looks like a deep sleep problem on CPU.

Billsey gave you the right tip about long pressing power button.

• laajr

Wondering at this point if this is a issue with the 840 and 4.4.4 or some other hardware issue? The fact that others are seeing this same issue leads me to lean towards OS interface with CPU. Not sure if sending my 840 in for repair is going to resolve anything if it's an OS issue. Store where it was purchased no longer has stock.

Wish I could get some info from Acer if in fact they are aware of this rather then send it in for repair.

• IronFly

We must see if other users surface with the same issue, so we can start to think about an OS issue/bug; if issue is limited to  few users, i'm more on the hardware side. (just my guess)

• billsey

I am thinking it's more likely to be software than hardware. Either there is an app that doesn't sleep well, blocking the waking or there's a driver that does the same thing. 

• laajr

Thanks to all who have provided feedback on this issue.

Isolating what's causing the problem is tough as it works fine for several days, then won't pwr up. I've uninstalled a few of the apps I've installed with the same results. It works fine when powered up and haven't seen any gliches with any of the pgms. 

Perhaps the original poster will chime in to see if this solves his problem also. 

• Barnaby
    Barnaby Member Posts: 5 New User

We just experienced this issue on our a1-840. My wife had just been using it. She had just hit the button to turn the screen off (sleep,) but she forgot she wanted to check the battery level. So she hit the button again to bring it up, but nothing happend. It didn't work, and she tried several times without success. The unit was not responsive.

I tried holding the power button down, and after a few times the unit powered on with a full reboot, seemingly on its own. 

This is the first time the unit has had this specific issue. However, it has acted weird a few times, all when it has been sleeping. There have been a few times where we put the tablet down, and moments later it starts rebooting as if it was turned it on from a full power down. Have the other posters have similar rebooting issues like that?

We never power the unit off completely. We always tap the power to sleep/turn the screen off.

I think we are are definately dealing with a sleep mode problem.

• wbandrews
    wbandrews Member Posts: 5 New User

The thing about this sleep/no wake up problem is that this is not the first machine that Abet has had this problem with. If you look at the posts, there are several models where this problem has existed. One would have thought that a solution could have been uncovered by now.

• pensfan419
    pensfan419 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have had the same issue. Sometimes it will be a few seconds after I put the device into sleep mode, other times will be after a longer period of time. It will go into sleep mode then not come out of it. I've also had the issue where while it's in sleep mode, it will all of a sudden restart on its own. Would love to know what's causing this because other than this and the generally short battery life, I really do like this tablet and have been a fan of Acer for a while.

• Barnaby
    Barnaby Member Posts: 5 New User

Yes, what you said is exactly what has happened on occassion.

And we like this tablet as well. It is fairly snappy, and it is great for what my wife uses it for. Though we have had some pretty solid battery life out of ours. The sleep mode is very good at maintaining battery levels, even over night. Ours is still very new, it was a gift for my wife.

I just noticed that it has Acer Touch Wakeapp in the pull down on the right side of notifications. I looked at it, and it showed 5-finger touch was enabled, even though the symbol was grey on the notification bar. I had assumed this was already off because of that. So I just now turned off the 5-finger wake mode. I don't know if that will help, but I'll keep an eye on it and see if it makes any difference.

Does anyone with these issues have Acer Touch Wake enabled or disabled? It may be worth checking, as like I said, the notification bar was grey, even though it was enabled!

• laajr

Yesterday, 3 times in a row the 840 would not wake from sleep. Holding the pwr button down for ~30 secs and then pressing again would cause the unit to reboot. It has been fine since. I disabled the 5 finger wake mode and still have the sleep problem. (running 4.4.4.)

We also have  a A1-830 which we updated to 4.4.2 and have had zero problems.

I've updated all apps that have updates, disabled others, removed some and still have the problem.

• IronFly

Interesting, probably there's the CPU management that kill too much the CPU power and can't wake up from the sleep mode.

Let's see if the 5 fingers wake can help or wait some Acer fix.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi All,

I'd like to get a bit more information to report to our engineers.

Full Model Name: (If you aren't sure, send me a PM with your SN or SNID and I'll help figure that out)

Build Version:

Thanks,
    Cory

• laajr

Iconia Tab 8 A1-840_2Cws_316T

Part No: NT.L6FAA.001

Mfg Date: Oct 2014

RMN: A1409

Info off of box