Acer Iconia A510 and A700 official android 4.2???

naskox
naskox Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello, has the Acer Iconia A510 and A700 official software support ended? Are we going to recieve 4.2, because soon Google will announce 4.4, and we are stucked on 4.1.2, and I don't think 4.1 is the limit to our hardware?

Best Answer

• theoldone
    theoldone Member Posts: 8 New User
    Answer ✓

Berk-124

I see that your post has been edited by a Acer moderator named ElizabethS.

Looking at some of the posts by ElizabethS, it looks like that person may well work for Acer.

If that is the case, it means that Acer knows about this thread and I asume, others along the same vein, yet choose to ignore us. I am starting to feel that Acer thinks 'get their money then give token support', like this forum, which gives the impression that Acer cares...Humbug!

Answers

• MarciaH
    MarciaH Member Posts: 11 New User

I was just going to post the same question but also wanted to know about the updates for the A210.

• naskox

Nothing?

• theoldone

I want Acer to answer this. I have the A510 and it is the first Acer product I have bought. If the support is not there from Acer for the A510, it may well be the last. Acer, I intend to replace my laptop next year, do you want me to buy an Acer laptop? Show what your support is like on this tablet! That will be indicative of your attitude and will make my mind up.

• Berk-124
    Berk-124 Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm really disapointed of acer support.

It's clearly impossible to stay stucked at 4.1.2 as the hardware can clearly handle much more.

There is no way I bought another acer product.

• naskox
    I have to agree with you. I really like the hardware party of the Acer tablets, especially the battery, but clearly the software part is no near satisfaction. Smiley Sad They even can't respond like a normal people here Wheter or not we will receive 4.2...
  • Berk-124
    Berk-124 Member Posts: 2 New User

However an update to 4.2 now will be ridiculous.

We want an update to kit kat !

• theoldone
    Answer ✓

Berk-124

I see that your post has been edited by a Acer moderator named ElizabethS.

Looking at some of the posts by ElizabethS, it looks like that person may well work for Acer.

If that is the case, it means that Acer knows about this thread and I asume, others along the same vein, yet choose to ignore us. I am starting to feel that Acer thinks 'get their money then give token support', like this forum, which gives the impression that Acer cares...Humbug!

• naskox

Assuming you are right, since no word have been given so long time, this thread is the first one in Google when someone searches for acer iconia a510 or a700 android 4.2. I have no words except, sorry Acer, but hardware part is not enough, I have waited long enough. Android Kitkat is getting old we are still on 4.1.2 so that's it. You can keep your "long battery life".

• theoldone

I am as good as my word! No reply or suport from Acer so I have bought a Samsung Note.  I also read in an Afterdawn.com newsletter (Google it people) that Acer lost many hundreds of Millions of dollars last year & that the 2 top people have gone & they are trying to turn the decline around. To Late! This is what happens with extreamly poor support, you only get one chance!

• roadwarrior796
    roadwarrior796 Member Posts: 273 Practitioner WiFi Icon

You will not be diappointed with the Samsung, a joy and a pleasiure to use, anyone listening at Acer !!!!

• theoldone

Well, the Note replaces the A510. I am looking at a replacement laptop (have a Toshiba currently) & am leaning towards Asus. I had an Asus laptop previously & it lasted 5 years &, importantly, I used their suport on 2 occasions & it was first class! 

• roadwarrior796

Strangely enough I am looking for a laptop too on behalf of a friend, have bought and set up many Acer's for friends, all bought on my recommendations but this forum has been an eye opener for me, been an Acer fan for years but am disappointed at their attitude to customers who have bought their tablets. I have been looking at Asus and Lenovo, looks like Acer will lose me as a customer and because of this, will lose many other potential customers.

Recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, eight inch tablet for my wife, was a delight to set up, Samsung have tweaked Android and it's so much better than my Iconia A1-810, Samsung are also prompt at rolling out Android upgrades.

• Maultier
    Maultier Member Posts: 2 New User

Just to be honest, is Samsung in any case better? They also abandon their devices very soon, too. No matter if they were "top models" or not....within a few months they tell you to buy a new one because the old one isn't supported anymore. Or people in Malayasia will get Android 4.3 and people in Europe not (on the same device!), just for marketing reasons.

Of course I will not buy any Acer product any more (got many things from them), but Samsung is done for me, too. I will now use Google Nexus devices, they come with at least support for 18 months.

When you see what Cyanogenmod guys can do with back-engineering in their spare time to keep old devices alive, then you recognize just the pure arrogance of the manufactures to cease support even for expensive devices asap... what Cyanogenmod guys can do in days, could the official programmers do in hours (because they've access to much more hardware documentation, which xda-developers have to find out by try'n'error)....but they just won't...

• roadwarrior796

Well, I suppose ever company is good 'tilll your first bad experience, I guess if we look round we'll see similar complaints about Nexus, which I believe is made for Google, by Asus, ultimately you pays your money and you take your choice, with your fingers firmly crossed.

• Maultier
    Maultier Member Posts: 2 New User

Sure, the tablet/smartphone market is still such a cashcow so manufacturers don't have to bother about anything, they get their stuff sold anyway.

But slightly this market seems to consoildate, the innovation of brand new technology stalls and then it will become valueable to keep their customes faithful, and you achieve this with good support, when you cannot convince people with dramatically better hardware.

The list of manufacturers I don't buy anything anymore from gets keeping longer...but i rather buy nothing new instead of supporting only one company of my "black list" ever again. This is the only power we have...and if enough people participate, it will get noticeable...

Additionaly, I would have no worries to pay for a new update of my A510. If it's a fairly acceptable price I would buy it at the day of realease... You don't get a WIndows or Mac OS update for free just as well

• Peeker
    Peeker Member Posts: 2 New User

Getting sucked into the Emachines lawsuit couldnt have helped their bottom line any. I know I personally cost them $368.00 and i was told it was  multi billion dollar settlement here's hoping we dont have to do it again...

• andrewnorris52
    andrewnorris52 Member Posts: 1 New User

I Have a Acer iconia T500, my on / off button has stopped working and looking on the net i have seen that i am not the one with this problem, i have also read that because of this i may have to get a new mother board which will cost me more than the machine is worth.

i really surprised that Acer do not give iota about the people who purchase goods from them, i have only had just over 12 months use of my acer which i think is descusting that the on off button has not been designed with a lot of thought,.

i have now had two computers myself and i know of other people who have brought items from Acer and they say are saying the same that they have or had just over a years use of their machine, so Acer when are you going to look at the complaints and start doing something more positive , i have got to buy another computer because i rely on it for doing all of my bills and finances, i will not be buying from Acer as i do not feel that the acer products have not been designed with care and thought., i am just one of the disatified customers that has brought goods form you. 

This discussion has been closed.