A500 bricked. How to recover?

Options
ddbug
ddbug Member Posts: 4 New User

My Iconia A500 has worked pretty well for 2 years.

It got stuck suddenly in the middle of web browsing, or maybe youtube video.

After hard reset, it will only display the Acer logo (not even "Android") an won't boot further.

Whren pressed volume up & power button: it says something about bootloader error.

Any suggestions how it can be recovered?

-- ddbug

Best Answer

• Philman
    Philman Member Posts: 255 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

The best site for A500: XDA A5OO

Go to General Forum and read the Guide about unbrick. To do under your own responsability, of course.

Answers

• Philman
    Answer ✓
    Options

The best site for A500: XDA A5OO

Go to General Forum and read the Guide about unbrick. To do under your own responsability, of course.

• ddbug
    Options

Thank you, Philman. I am not an Android geek and don't know much about ADB and things, but the steps shown there look accessible.

The Acer support was of no help at all. They only offer a standard reset procedure, if it won't help - full replacement. So when the warranty ends, visiting the support is waste of time and money.

Thanks,

-- ddbug

• Philman
    Options

XDA is a Bible for everybody, not only for geeks Smiley Very Happy

Read everything, make a coffee, take a deep breath and... go!

Follow advices step by step and your A500 will be better than ever.

• ddbug
    Options

Update...

This definitely is not going to be easy. After two days of browsing  on here, on acerhacks.com and other places,  lot of coffees, understood that some "update" or "recovery" file from ACER are needed, besides of generic Android tools.

Namely, I'm looking for EUUs_SBK_Acer_A500_1.016.05_COM_GEN1 which contains "PBJ20upgrade.exe".

Am shocked to find that Acer will not provide these files. Download links on forums are failing.

What's going, ACER? Do you think that after losing my tablet (3 months past the one year of support) I will rush to buy a new one? Perhaps, even more expensive model? Nope, I will not. 

Still hope to find a right download...

-- dd

• wesleysam
    wesleysam Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Why is it that my Iconia a 500 has a problem and Acer wont help . Its barley out of warranty and it was working fine and all of a sudden it said memory is full and now it wont even boot . This sucks i like this tablet a lot and Acer is just telling me I  am screwed .Ithink it is bricked and Acer knows why and wont admit to the there problem can anyone help need a file to boot to i guess . Acer wont help need to contact walmart tell them not to sell acer anymore  

• Ovlap
    Ovlap Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Actually, the basic instructions are already here:

https://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29931/related/1

The problem is that when you go to the download page for manuals and drivers:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers#_ga=1.181574820.267539145.1417479834

and select your model (e.g. A500 tablet) and select the OS you want (I chose Android 4.0 Ice Cream),

you download a .zip file with a long name like: 

OS_Acer_7.014.12.041.214.02.TWN.GEN1_A40I_A.zip

DO NOT JUST COPY THIS FILE TO YOUR micro SD and expect to be able to boot your tablet.

DO NOT RENAME THIS FILE TO update.zip and copy it to your micro SD and expect to be able to boot your tablet.

Instead, EXTRACT THIS FILE TO A FOLDER in your PC and you will see that it contains another file called update.zip

SURPRISE!  Every one of these O.S. files in the download page have a different version of update.zip contained within

a .zip folder bearing the version name of the O.S.  Copy the extracted update.zip (do not extract update.zip itself) to your

A500 micro SD card at the top level directory.  Next push the volume down button and power button until the tablet powers up.  Release the power button but keep holding the volume down button until you see the text in the upper left corner then release the volume down button.  At this point, my tablet installed the version of Android I chose without trashing the apps that I had installed.  It works great.  Now there were some more steps in

https://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29931/related/1

like pushing the volume up button, etc.  I did not have to do that with my tablet but you might have to with yours if you have a slightly different version of A500.

But the confusing thing none of the articles tell you is that the O.S. downloads are all an update.zip contained withing another <Android version>.zip.  The tablet can only boot to a valid Android O.S. in a file named update.zip in the top level directory of the micro SD file following the volume/power button push sequence.  That is the key.  I also want to credit

http://androidforums.com/threads/un-brick-acer-iconia-tab-a500.345419/

which clued me into this realization.

• sj2000
    sj2000 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have the same problem. I tried what the previous poster wrote, but it still shows a dead android with a red ! over it.

• sj2000
    sj2000 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I used the aforementioned procedure and it WORKED!

To those have this problem. I went to the Acer support page for the driver/downloads for the tablet. Downloaded the OS/ Operating system that I know I updated to (ICS for me). Then get a cleared out micro SD card. Download the OS from Acer to a computer and extract THIS file. Inside the extracted file folder there is another zip file called update.zip (dont extract THIS file). Copy that and only that to the SD Card. It should be the ONLY file on the card. Then Press power and volume down. Let it load. If it does not work, then you have a hardware problem. Contact Acer via facebook and make a fuss, they may offer some help. But if you get an Acer or Android logo, you should be able to restore via SD card. It worked for me. I had to use a MicroSD card reader to download directly from Computer to SD card. Acer Driver Download site http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers#_ga=1.181574820.267539145.1417479834