wireless keyboard not working

Sharanji
Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives
Wireless keyboard suddenly stops working on all-in-one computer . Wireless mouse is working fine. Unplugging and inserting USB dongle, Changing batteries, Uninstalling latest window updates, uninstalling keyboard driver and restoring it in device manager, system restore to previous date does not does not resolve the issue. Some affect model are Aspire U5-610, Z3-615, U5-620, Any user who have resolved this issue sucessfully may post troubleshooting steps here.

Answers

• EdTouchPC
    EdTouchPC Member Posts: 4 New User

Same problem here since today on a Z3-615. I would love to hear a solution to this problem.

• EdTouchPC

Found the solution to my problem, the fault was in the circuit board of the keyboard which can be reset.

Indication : When you reinsert the batteries, the indicator LED on the keyboard does not light up (it should do !).

There are two steps to be taken, read them before starting the operation.

Tools needed are a screwdriver PH1, a small electrical wire (or paperclip) and a magnifying glass (optional).

>> Step 1 (reset the circuit board of the keyboard) :

Remove the batteries and leave the lid open, then remove the 14 screws from the backside.

Separate the backside from the key-face of the keyboard by pushing through the open battery compartment.

Go around the perimeter of the casing, gently prying it open with your fingers.

There are retaining notches at the sides and lower side that will easily give way.

Lay the backside down and remove the two screws with the retaining plate holding the small circuit board

Turn the circuit board over and use the magnifying glass to locate the contact node reading Reset.

Remount the lid of the battery compartment and insert the batteries from above, mind the polarity.

Use the electrical wire to connect the Reset-node to the Ground (the black wire from the batteries) for a second.

Release this connection and you should see the LED on this circuit board light up.

Remount the small circuit board on its connection strip with the two screws and the retaining plate.

>> Step 2 (reset the USB dongle in the computer) :

Remove the Mouse/Keyboard USB dongle from the dedicated USB-port and reinsert after 10 seconds, you should hear the computer acknowledging this.

>> Test the keyboard before closing it by pressing the position of the key with the Windows logo, maybe you have to repeat the reset procedure.

Good luck !

• EdTouchPC

Here are some pics of the details mentioned in my entry above.01.JPG

02.JPG

04.JPG

06.JPG

• Alan_N
    Alan_N Member Posts: 1 New User

I have had the same problem, at first I thought it was the batteries on the keyboad which I changed and the organge light on the keyboard light up briefly. But still having problems It willnot work when you first log on I did a  restart and it worked then today the same thing whenfirst logged on it would not work, had to use the on screen keybroad to log in and did a restart andkeybroad working again.

• EdTouchPC

Had some trouble again yesterday when I tried to login but it was solved more quickly this time.
    Just removed the Mouse/Keyboard USB dongle from the dedicated USB-port and reinserted after 10 seconds.
    Login went OK with the keyboard again.

• dsheuman
    dsheuman Member Posts: 1 New User

I am recently getting this problem too.  I can reboot the computer and get it to work.

The problem is that it is hard to teach my 6 year old son to do this.  And, my wife is getting angry

Clearly, this is a 'computer" thing - not an operating system thing (Acer T-120 with Windows 8.1).  There should be no need to remove the USB dongle and reinsert to get the keyboard working nor should there be the need to reboot everytime.

Is there a permanent solution that someone can recommend?

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

dsheuman,

I've had all three issues.  The keyboard not working after shutdown, the mouse skipping, and the audio issue.

To resolve the keyboard issue is easy.  All you need to do is disable windows fast start. 

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

But let me tell you what I did to resolve all three issues.  I reset the computer to factory defaults....and just started over. Everything is working fine now.  I have all Windows updates installed (except the optional ones).  

I was using the intel AMT driver before and I had issues.  So I decided not to use it this time, and everything is working fine (I didn't download it from Acer's website).  And I don't even see that Intel Technology Service in task manager anymore.  More than likely the problem is related to an interaction of Windows updates and iAMT and/or the chipset driver.

Addtionally, I use the updated intel video driver directly from intel's website.  And I use the updated intel chipset driver (inf) from Acer driver downloads.

I can't guarantee my methods will work for you as my computer is a little different than yours. I have Acer desktop TC-605 windows 8.1. And actually, I have two of them.  One hasn't had a single problem and the other is a problem magnet.  It could be that I just got lucky......for the moment. But I'm leary of that intel AMT driver.  Others have said that installing the intel AMT driver resolved their issues.  Just the opposite in my case.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Ev1
    Ev1 Member Posts: 8 New User

I did it! I am a 66 year old widowed grandma and I did it...BUT... now...some of my keys won't type, so I am back to using this onscreen keyboard AGAIN, boo hoo! I unscrewed and tightly rescrewed back together twice. Some letters and numbers type, some don't. PLEASE help me. [edited for privacy]

• jillbee53
    jillbee53 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have a much simpler remedy that has worked many times for me...Unplug the the little thing from the USB drive that communicates with the keyboard and mouse and plug it in another USB drive. It has worked every time!

• jillbee53
    jillbee53 Member Posts: 2 New User

Yikes! I have a simpler solution... I unplug the little thing from the USB drive that communicates with the keyboard and replug it in a DIFFERENT USB drive.  I have found this to work every time.

• Ev1

jillbee53, was kind of shocked to receive an email that you had replied to such an old request, but was deeply thankful. They wanted so much money to buy a new keyboard I couldn't afford it..I thought they would relace it free since I have 15 year old keyboards for other brands that still work. Anyway, after many trials and failures, I went upstairs and got an old sony keyboard, plugged it in and it...WOW...works and have been using it ever since. The other keyboard is still dongled and it works once in a while, but not those letters that refused from the beginning. Again, I thank you so kindly for your reply and I WILL try to plug into a different USB. Evelyn 

• David_Alexander
    David_Alexander Member Posts: 1 New User

EdTouchPC wrote:

Here are some pics of the details mentioned in my entry above.01.JPG

02.JPG

04.JPG

06.JPG

Your solution only partially fixes the problem but it does not identify the cause of the problem.  In my case I took out the 2 alkaline batteries and using a multimeter found that 1 of them was faulty.  That likely shorted the circuit board.  I then followed your instructions, and used 2 fresh batteries (with back holder inserted to hold the batteries in place).  I then used a paper clip to reset the board, and the pilot light did come on.  I suspect if I had reinserted the bad battery your fix would not have worked.   I then reassembled the keyboard and it is working as I type.  Thanks for providing detailed instructions on how to fix the problem.

• Ev1

Thank you for caring to respond, that is so kind! Back when this happened to me, I did get brave enough to follow all the insstructions!I truly am just a 'dumb woman', but I did it. I did get it back in operation, but here and there there were letters that just would not type. Yes, I repeated the whole thing again..but, well, my thinking, I may have messed up that rubbery thing that makes contact with each letter. I gave up, ran upstairs and found an old keyboard I didn't use anymore..plugged it into the keyboard plug on the back and have used it ever since. The mouse still works very well. Thank you again for your kindness.