Z5761 Can't get into BIOS Setup

alanrees
alanrees Member Posts: 2 New User
Ever since I updated my BIOS from P01-A1 to P01-B3, I haven't been able to get past the ACER POST screen. If I press DEL during POST to get into BIOS Setup, it says, "Please wait...." and nothing happens (I've waited about 20 mins). If I press F12, I get the option to boot from HDD or DVD. I can then load Win7 from HDD but no I/O controls - no USB so no keyboard or mouse. I've attached an old PS2 keyboard, started Win7 from the F12 option and can use keyboard functions. Win7 looks ok - ie my icons are all there, files are there etc. I know I need to get into the BIOS Setup to reset to factory settings, etc....but I can't get into the BIOS Setup. What do I do now?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Probably you need to do a CMOS reset but this is not an easy task, since you must open the back of your AIO.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • alanrees
    alanrees Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks IronFly. I've had the covers off many times and have reset the BIOS and ME several times but no change. Still can't get into the BIOS Setup. Was wondering if I should go back to the old BIOS ver P01-A1??
  • IronFly

I don't know if you will be able to revert to old BIOS, sometimes this option is blocked for security reason, by the way i would try to reflash the new one, maybe something went wrong in the first flash.

• Bikerbob
    Bikerbob Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I will post in this thread since it is not marked solved and I am having the same issues.

I flashed the bios on my Z5761 and now I cannot get past the ACER screen.

I have read somewhere that I have to open up the machine and change a ME jumper??? is this true?? I have to open it up to flash the bios?  IF so .. why nowhere in the bios package is there a txt file that warms me ?? kind of a big this dont you think?

SO, now I am stuck.. do I do the same thing? Disable the ME? the instructions I found in a downloaded service manual say to do this so that you can flash it.. it talks about the ME firmware.. I am only wanting to flash the main bios.

Its instructions have me move the jumper for 20-30 secs and put it back??? but later in the manual doing the bios flash it talks about re-enabling the ME? would that not be what I did when I put it back?

What is the ME ? do I need it?  

Thanks

James

• Bikerbob

Tinkerer

So I get the case open.. and I see what i need to do.. no issue there.

But one of the reasons I was doing this.. was I was thinking of upgrading the Intel HD graphics with a GT730 video card.

but inside my z5761 had no riser card and bracket...  so... not looking like I can do this easy. Can you get these parts from ACER? my guess is they will cost me a few pennies.. and then I wonder what this is all worth.

James

• IronFly

Be aware that you can't fit all the GPUs you want, there are some supported and unsupported hardware from BIOS.

you will find the list on the service manual you found.

• Bikerbob

Tinkerer

Well , not to be ungrateful. but a manual written 4 years ago with a list of video cards that were available then, does not give any idea what would work now, and unless the bios has been specifically  disabled to accept video cards than anything that works in an H67 chipset board should work in this given space and power.

But that was just one of the points..

The real issue I am facing is I guess I flashed this computer with the ME jumper still in the normal position.

I now cannot boot the machine, and I cannot get it to go into its flash recovery as per the manual.

This ME jumper thing is crazy .. if I could brick the computer a bigger warning should have been given with the bioses.

James

• IronFly

I know but i don't write those manuals and Acer never update them and normally are not available to public.

So the only way to know if it will work is buying one or finding someone that already mounted the same graphic card.

About the BIOS issue, if the service manual is not helping resolving the issue, i can't help you much, i will rely on the same service manual.

Smiley Happy

• Bikerbob

Tinkerer

and I assume no acer employees on on here?

and they wont without paid - support out of warrenty machines?

James

edit -  Ok for anyone who wants to know. I did mess up the bios with the ME jumper on.

You have to flash with it to the off position - when done flashing.. put it back - or not it seems.

I was never able to get the bios to do it recovery function.. but I was able to boot a dos DISK - HD that I connected to the internal SATA - was not able to get USB to boot ANYTHING.

From there I was able to re-flash the rom using the dos method. I am working again.. as for the video card.. i Guess this machine is for internet and utube only. Smiley Sad

James