Why no touchscreen drivers provided for All-in-ones ZS600??!

alenchner
alenchner Member Posts: 6 New User

I am helping a friend rebuild an Acer Aspire ZS600 All-in-One computer.  It originally came with Windows 8, but they wanted it upgraded to Windows 10.  Ok, no problem.   So, I rebuild the machine clean from a Win 10 DVD only to discover that the monitor driver detected is using a generic pnp driver.  I don't even know what type of monitor device is built into this thing, so I can't identify it or download a driver for it.  The devices list an AIO LCD monior, but that's all I can figure out.

It is UNBELIEVABLE to me that Acer doesn't provide any link to download the appropriate drivers for the touchscreen for their computers.  I will try the Win 8 driver - I'm sure it works with Win 10.  But, I don't know what the device is or have any link to download the driver.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or send me the appropriate drivers for the monitor for this model or the touchscreen drivers?  Thanks!

Aaron

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

on windows 10 monitors don't need specific driver (at least modern monitors), since it will read the EDID values and set it correctly.

so don't worry about the monitor listed as PnP.

talking about drivers, any yellow exclamation mark present on Device manager? (enabled show hidden devices under View tab).

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • alenchner
    Iron fly, no, all devices are installed with functioning drivers. It's obvious they are just the generic ones and not the correct specific ones.

When I look at the System Properties, under Pen and Touch it says: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this display.

Unfortunately, I don't know what hardware this system runs - Windows was destroyed before I put my hands on it. Thanks.

Aaron
  • IronFly
  • alenchner
    There is no HID-compliant touch screen device listed in the Device Manager.
  • IronFly

The main issue is that Acer doesn't support your model on windows 10 OS.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-eligible-models

the missing touchscreen is for sure a driver issue, can be the Intel serial IO or the touchscreen itself but i can't find any reference on the web and without an hardwareID is even more hard to find the correct driver.

• alenchner

This download is for an ITE Infrared Tranceiver.  It's not used on my model Aspire.

• alenchner

Yes, I know Win 10 is not supported.  However, if it runs Win 8.1, it should handle Win 10.  I was hoping someone who has one of these model Aspire ZS600 could clue me in as to what hardware is detected in the Device Manager.

Even if I reinstalled Win 8, I'd have the same problem.  Acer doesn't provide the drivers for download which is NUTS to me.  And, you can't call or chat with them eiter because it's out of warranty.  That is ZERO customer service.

Not good, in my opinion.

• IronFly
    If there's still the original recovery partition intact on the HDD, maybe you can try to browse it and find the drivers.
  • alenchner

Nope.  It was hit with a ransomware virus, so nothing was left of the disk drive.

• IronFly

So...no other ideas, apart buying the original recovery disks from Acer.