Ubuntu 14.04.2 on Acer Aspire A7600U All in One

LiJiaLing
LiJiaLing Member Posts: 1 New User

I managed to installed Ubuntu 14.04.2 on my A7600U All-in-One.

First, I tried the Desktop DVD of Ubuntu 14.0.4.2. Though it booted, it could not find the disks to partition. I suspect it is the RAID controller. The system comes with a 32 GB SSD that has been configured to function as a cache for a 1 TB 5400rpm Hard Disk ( why couldn't they have a 7200 rpm disk? Sigh. ). I tried that alternative install, again, that did not work.

So I went into the BIOS, turn of RAID. It requires me to turn off the Write Caceh functionality of the SSD, and turn off something else on the 1TB device. I also changed the disk type to IDE. Now Windows 8 wouldn't boot.

Fine, but SSD works. Boot from the Desktop DVD ( not the alternative install ) and installed Ubuntu on the 32GB SSD, creating 4 primary partitions, 6 GB for /, 24 for /home, 500MB for swap and another 500MB for /boot/efi. Wow, Ubuntu is superfast with SSD and i7. From the time the boot menu appears, I hit enter and in 7s the login GUI presents itself.  Sound, touch screen, etc all works fine. Fantastic!

But I still cannot install Windows onthe 1 TB hard disk. Finally, I change the SATA type of both disk to RAID and viola, Windows recorgnize the 1TB disk. After many reboots and downloads of updates, Win8.1 is running with the Ubuntu boot manager and the dual boot works perfectly. This means that my Win8.1 is running much slower than my Ubuntu, but since my default boot is to Ubuntu anyway, who cares.

Yooray!