Red startup screen on acer aspire 7551-7422 Laptop

Options
Converseuser
Converseuser Member Posts: 16 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

My Acer Aspire 7551-74221 Lap Top has a red screen on startup. Once up and running some of the screens have a partial unusual blue screen.

I hooked up an external monitor and it works fine.

Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if the external monitor image is ok, can be a bad LCD panel or video cable on your laptop.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Converseuser
    Options

I have read that too. The part I dont understand is when it goes into windows, the colors are normal. Why just on startup does go to this red screen.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,555 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>Once up and running some of the screens have a partial unusual blue screen.>>>

>>>when it goes into windows, the colors are normal.>>>

These are sorta contradictory observations. Do you mean, even when in Windows, some of the screens have a unusual blue hue? if so, maybe all you need to do is to re-seat the video ribbon cable connectors at the screen and mainboard a half dozen or so times to clean the contacts. Also a possibility the conductor traces in the ribbons have intermittent breaks usually around the hinge area from wear/tear of opening/closing the lid. Video cables are cheap so I'd probably just replace it if I was gonna take it apart to access the connectors. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Converseuser
    Options
    LCD screen is ok, installed a New one, did the same.will check the ribbon cabe next.
    Thanks for your input
  • Converseuser
    Options

Back again ! Replaced ribbon cable and screen. Startup still red and and after into windows, lots of red fussy lines around icons.

External monitor still works fine. Mother board removed and blow off with air.

What would be my next move ? replace the mother board. If so can I get an upgaded one ?

• JackE
    Options

>>>Once up and running some of the screens have a partial unusual blue screen.>>>

>>>when it goes into windows, the colors are normal.>>>

>>>Startup still red and and after into windows, lots of red fussy lines around icons.>>>

Before proceeding any further, please explain your apparent contradictory observations above. Specifically, does it have an unusual blue screen or an unusual red screen? Are the colors normal in Windows or not? Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• Converseuser
    Options

On startup the screen background is a grainy looking red. Once up into windows and icons are showing. They are surrounded by a red gainy color. Select an icon and go into it, I get a very light pink backgound color. The command  line is a very light hashed blue. If I go into other areas where there is a picture that sould be black is red.

What are your thoughts ? I've done the color calibration several times, no help !

• JackE
    Options

>>> Select an icon and go into it, I get a very light pink backgound color.>>>

What do you mean by "go into it"? Do you mean, for example, opening or running MSWord and the background page color is pink instead of paper white?

>>>The command  line is a very light hashed blue. If I go into other areas where there is a picture that s<h>ould be black is red.>>>

Do you mean, for example, when you open CMD.exe, or the MSDOS command C:\> prompt, the command lines are hashed blue and the background is red instead of black?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Converseuser
    Options

That is correct

• JackE
    Options

>>> ! Replaced ribbon cable and screen.>>>

(1) Does Device Mgr show any issues? (2) If no issues, cold boot tap F2 to enter the BIOS menu. Load defaults. F10 to save & exit. What happens? (3) Was the LCD inverter board replaced along with the screen?

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Converseuser
    Options

Dive manager shows no issues. Did the cold reboot. Same red screen issues. Not the LCD inverter was not replaced. Looking on line I cant find one for a Acer Aspire 7551-7442. So does this mean I need to replace the mother board ?

• JackE
    Options

Did you load & save BIOS default settings when you F2 cold booted? How many times did you try to re-seat the video ribbon cable to the connector on the mainboard to clean its contacts? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Converseuser
    Options

yes I did, also reseated the ribbon cable at the main board over 12 times. Still same issue

• JackE
    Options

>>>My Acer Aspire 7551-74221 Lap Top has a red screen on startup.>>>

Last questions before I offer my best guess and further suggestions. 8^)

What are the color renditions of ***only*** the cold boot ACER logo screen and the BIOS settings menu? White on black background? Pink on black? White on Red? Red on black? Black on Blue? In other words, what image colors are on what background color for ***only*** the ACER logo screen and the BIOS setup menu?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Converseuser
    Options
  • Converseuser
    Options
  • Converseuser
    Options
  • Converseuser