Non-propiatory computer wanted.

b21
b21 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives

I would like this computer system. Is it available from acer?

Well-supported by GNU/Linux.
Requires no propiatory or closed-source software.
Frame is tower, or all-in-one.
Architecture is debian amd64, Intel 64.
Memory 8 GB.
Storage drive 1 TB.
USB 3.0 port.
HDMI video port.
Headphone jack.
Microphone jack.

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

Such hardware does exist.

It is unlikely to be practical for all likely needs.  Usually they are single boards.

Acer chromebook has the possibility of a linux install, but is not listed for Debian.

Most Acer laptops and desktops will probably accept Debian as an installed OS, but the internal hardware is not going to be opensource, but Debian does have sufficient flexibility to cope.

The BIOS is going to be closed source, so the possibility of getting hardware with an opensource BIOS is remote.  Libreboot is a good starting point.

If in doubt please ask.

• b21
    b21 Member Posts: 2 New User

If I understand you correctly, you say that acer does not offer a non-propiatory computer.
    When you say "It is unlikely to be practical for all likely needs", I assume you mean that the full system I described is not available from anywhere?
    You say "Such hardware does exist." I assume you mean non-propiatory. Great. More details please?
    You say "Usually they are single boards." I have researched several of these. Some may claim they are non-propiatory, but I have found that only applies to some parts of the system. Have you found otherwise?
    I am looking for a complete, fabricated, assembled computer system that can be made from information that is in the public domain.

• dusnou
    dusnou Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

My Acer Aspire E15 is a part of a domain...When I do not use it a few days and when I turn it on some things changed like my energy setting (= an example).Also things I share, I can not be admin. because there are Admins (more of them???)What can I do????