Intel HD 4600 graphics card. I play Ashpalt 8 Airborne and my machine blacks out randomly.

Options
Quincy
Quincy Member Posts: 5 New User

Usually I have to reboot to get the all-in-one acer working again.

Is there anything to tweak to fix this annoying problem?

Acer Intel i5-4570T 2.9GHz All-in-One PC | AZ3-615-UR15

Answers

• Shinichy_Kudo
    Shinichy_Kudo Member Posts: 355 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi!

What are the requirements for this game?

It is possible that the graphics chip Intel is not supporting graphics of the game and there comes a point where you can no more and you put the display in black.

These Intel graphics chips are not designed for games, they are only to improve the performance of the operating system and can work properly to open applications such as Word, Excel, Power Point, surf the Internet, watch videos online, improve quality graphics Windows environment.

If you want to get better performance you need to spend Acer products from nVidia or AMD graphics cards.

I hope you find it useful information.

Greetings! Smiley Very Happy ^^

• Quincy
    Options

Here are the system game requirements....

System Requirements to Run Asphalt 8 Airborne for PC

CPU:
    1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 or 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
    RAM:
    2 GB Windows XP / 4 GB Windows Vista, 7, 8
    Operating System:
    Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8
    Video Card:
    256 MB DirectX® 9.0c-compliant video card with Shader Model 3.0 or higher
    Sound Card:Yes

Looks like I have plenty of processor speed and RAM (8G) I'm not sure if my Intel HD 4600 meets that or not.  Is there some way to increase the video memory when I am playing the game maybe? 
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Quincy,

1. Download the Intel Driver Update Utility, but don't run it yet. (Automatically detect and update drivers and software)

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/graphics/4cp-hd4600gfx

2. Uninstall/delete your 4600 graphics driver from device manager.

4600del.JPG

3. Use the Intel Driver Update Utility.

Edit: I have played that game several times, but always with the latest generic 4600 driver from Intel, and never had a problem.  Your CPU is fine. 

If you still have problems, uninstall the Intel 4600 driver again, and let Windows Update find the latest WHQL certified driver.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Quincy
    Options

Awesome! So far so good. I will give it a few days to see if it holds up and I will let you know. I really like the added options the new driver gives as well. I may try tweaking some of those as well if I start having problems.

Thanks for your suggestion!

• Quincy
    Options

Unfortunately, the graphics driver change didn't solve the problem.

I guess I'll try unistalling some of the bloatware that came with the machine.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Assuming you have Windows 8.1, so you should have "Soluto" pre-installed on your computer.  Try running "Soluto" and it might tell you if some software is crashing.

Also, you can try backing up any important files and just resetting your PC to factory defaults and starting over.  It can be a little bit of a pain, but can save you hours of troubleshooting.

I never tinkered with the 4600 driver.  Everything was default.

I really don't know if you have a software or hardware issue, but if you have any cables plugged in to your PC, make sure they are plugged in properly.

Personally I would go for the factory reset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFaFnRiwCiE&feature=iv&src_vid=SjtB7846Bp8&annotation_id=annotation_212545475

Edit: Not sure if Event Viewer would provide any useful info or not. But again, you can literally spend a few hours going through and understanding the events.....so it would be a reset for me.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Quincy
    Options

I'm using Windows 8.1 but it didn't have Soluto. I did a "refresh" but still have some problems locking up during the game. Sometimes the game will work smoothly for quite a while and I think it's fixed and then it gets real spotty locking up again. I think I'll go for a full reset tonight and hopefully it will strip away a lot of the bloatware that came on the machine.

I need to get rid of McAfee also... just use Windows Defender. I guess that will be good enough. I've heard lots of cpmplaints about McAfee.