Hi, I'm new to Acer community and need some advice please (not too technical please).

Options
jaguar444
jaguar444 Member Posts: 6 New User

My Z5771 will not hold its time and date once its switched off for a few days. I have tried the control panel and internet time settings (Windows, Gov etc...) and nothing works. The machine is 4 years old and perhaps it needs a "new" battery? Is it posible to get one and change yourself please? I'm no computer genius so it needs to be a simple solution please.

I keep forgetting to change the time when I switch on and thus any documents I print have the wrong date and time on them.

Thank you in advance

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

there's a lot of screws on the back of your AIO.

about the aked price, it will take about 2 hours to change a cheap part but man work costs a lot.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

Probably it's the CMOS battery going low voltage.

you need to open your AIO back and remove the back metal plate that cover the whole motherboard, not the easiest thing to be honest.

• jaguar444
    Options

Thank you Ironfly, but how do you do it please and where can I buy a battery? I cannot find anything on net.

Acer are most unhelpful as when I couldn't update to Windows 10 they said my 'drivers' , whoever they are are, are out of date and it couldn't be done. The computer is 4 years old. Built in obsolescence eh! The computing industry is a total disgrace. Machines out of date as soon as you buy them and the operating systems not installed, windows programmes being changed every few years, very unstable systems etc.... Where would motor car manufactures be if we had to install the engine after we bought the car, install a new engine every three years etc.....Never seen a web site auctioning classic or vintage computers.

• IronFly
    Options
    CMOS battery is CR2032 model, easy to find since a lot of cars RC work with it.
  • jaguar444
    Options

Thank you that battery is £1 for a card of 10 in Poundland . How do I install though please. Is it just a question of taking the back off or are some precautions needed, i.e, doing something on the computer before switching off etc...?

• IronFly
    Options

a lot of patience and time (a lot of screws to unscrew):
    you need  to power off your PC, disconnect the AC cable, remove the stand, remove the back cover, remove the right metal cover from mainboard and then you will be able to replace the CMOS battery.

at the first boot, probably you will receive a CMOS error, just press F1 (if i remember correctly) to enter BIOS, then press F9 to load defaults, press F10 to save and exit, then boot to windows.

• jaguar444
    Options

You are very kind and thank you for your patience. My son is coming this weekend i'll ask him to help me.

Hope you get a job soon, lots of people looking for helpful people particulalry with some IT skills.

• IronFly
    Options
    You welcome.
  • jaguar444
    Options

Bit scared of the last bit about pressing different f numbers. In my experience whatever is suggested something else happens and then you have a machine that's fit for the bin. It works now just wrong date and time don't think I'll risk any more going wrong. Obviously not easy to do. If it's a 10 pence battery why did Acer want £70 just to look at it. Won't deal with them again. YouTube video suggests it's very difficult to get the back off - no screws?

thanks anyway.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

there's a lot of screws on the back of your AIO.

about the aked price, it will take about 2 hours to change a cheap part but man work costs a lot.

• jaguar444
    Options

Thanks for all the replies. I may have a look after the holiday. Happy Christmas to you.