Aspire z5801 - random hangs

Options
timandhaylea
timandhaylea Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I Have an Acer Aspire Z5801 that is intermittently but consistently hanging. I have rebuilt the system to factory settings, but get the same issue (although the build runs through with no problem). I have booted from a utility CD and run scans on the processor, HDD & memory and found no problems. The BIOS is at the latest version.

The initial problem occurred after the system upgraded to Win10, but having restored back to Win7, I’m still seeing the same symptoms.

As it’s an all-in-one, it’s not a simple job to start swapping out components to see if it is a hardware fault, so I’m looking for any other suggestions ...

Answers

• timandhaylea
    timandhaylea Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Found the problem and solution here- so for anyone else that comes this way ...

Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI-controller -> Uninstall AHCI / ATA controller driver and driver package -> Reboot and let Windows install the correct driver.

Somewhat annoying, as the machine had just been rebuilt using a build disc set supplied by ACER

• macintoshpeter
    macintoshpeter Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi,

I had similar problem, was over heating and maybe dust shortng connectors.

Removed the centre back panel and removed thickly clogged dust from the 2 fans and heat sinls.  Use a small vacuum and tooth brush.  Dust was also accumulating on some connectors.  After removing it I noticed it felt moist and where is had been in contact with metals and clips it had corroded the metals.  I assume the duct is conductive which may also be causing intermediant problems.

To remove the centre back panel, push in the clips on the back panel found just above the top row of port for the esta, hdmi, usb and lan connectors.

Regards, Peter