Aspire z5610 disk changed and recovery disks do not completely work

mrldgreen
mrldgreen Member Posts: 3 New User

The internal hard drive in my 4 year old Aspire Z5610 cooked itself this weekend. I could not match the drive exactly so I put in a new 1TB hard drive. Of course, the old recovery partition was cooked along with the user partition and this drive does not have the Acer recovery partition. I used the 3 recovery disks and these seemed to work to a point. But when the system configures the services for the first time, an error pops up saying the installation cannot be completed on this machine and to start again. Well, I started again and again and again. Same error. I found a hack to get me past that and although it leaves me with a Windows 7 I can log into, lots of things don't work. In particular, the Windows update service will not turn on; this is a major problem. I cannot turn on indexing. Also eRecovery doesn't recognise the DVD drive (the internal one stoped working a while ago so I use an external USB drive that in all other respect works perfectly). The Acer system information detects the machine perfectly with the serial number and SNID. I would be astonished if the Windows 7 OEM build has been designed to only work with one type of harddrive - which is the same manufacturer just a slightly larger capacity. So I can only think there is something else not quite right but I haven't spotted it yet.

Any ideas?

Answers

• Hello,

For information, some Aspire Z5610 models are equipped with HDD 1Tb:

KH.01K07.002HDD.25mm.1TB.7K2.SATA2.16MB (HLDS)
    KH.01K08.005HDD.25mm.1TB.5K4.SATA2.32MB (WD)
    France
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Did you format your HDD before installing windows?

if so, you need to delete any partition or format and let the windows installer do it for you.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • mrldgreen

That's an interesting comment. I did in fact first use this drive on another computer to assist with moving my backups around before I bagan the installation so yes to your question. Let me try again with the partition removed. I'll let you know how I get on.

• mrldgreen

Thanks. That convinces me that it is something else and not the size of the drive per se. Another reply hinted at the partition on the drive. I am going to look into that.

• llear1955
    llear1955 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi IronFly, I came across your answer here and I am changing my HDD in my aspire 5733. I am putting in a new HDD so it has nothing on it. I am planning on using the Acer recovery disk set for my laptop. If I understad your answer all I have to do is put in the recovery disks and  they will format and partion the new HDD on its own. I keep reading about formatting and partioning the new HDD so I am getting confused LOL.  Thanks for any help you can give me.