Aspire Z1-621 all-in-one slow

KAUT
KAUT Member Posts: 1 New User

I have a new all-in-one running windows 8.  it runs extremely slow.  I did a disk cleanup and defrag but didn't help.  Any ideas?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you have any antivirus like norton, AVG or Avira, try to uninstall it and check your system speed.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • slowontheuptake
    slowontheuptake Member Posts: 12 New User

Hi, I have just bought one also, very dissapointingly slow for a quad core 4gb ram pc.

No wonder PCWorld UK are selling them off at a supposedly lower price. Its just a big tablet in essence. Lets hope acer roll out some kind of upgrade or fix to speed them up a bit, they should be faster than they are, unless its the bloatware included holding them back.

It would no doubt run better if we could take it back to win7/8/8.1 and then upgrade to win 10.

• slowontheuptake

I just ran a test on youtube 4k video here 4k youtube video

On the Z1-621 set to 2160p, normal screen stuttered and on full screen a lot worse. I then loaded a live linux dvd (chaletos) and did the same test and the video performance was a lot better with the same settings. Linux on a live dvd is always slower than when installed fully to an HD, not sure why linux seems to run more smoothly on the Z1-621 even then. I never tested touch screen, which I never use anyway.

• slowontheuptake

Yay, found a way to speed it up, well, not really.

I bought a cheap all in one pc off of an auction site (seperate pc part and screen attached by vesa), upgraded the graphics card in it to use DVI, I already had an adapter (DVI to HDMI) and now use the acer as its screen. I removed screen on the cheap pc and then attached the acer all in one to the vesa mounts and then connected the HDMI to it. There is a button on the rear of the acer allowing you to use HDMI input from another pc. The acer screen is far superior to the one originally attached to the new pc and now I can swap between slow windows 10 on the acer to fast Linux on the new (4gb dual core) cheap pc.

It does not take away the sluggish behaviour of this acer but at least now if/when I want/need to use windows 10, I can. At least this set up is better than dual boot on one hard drive and my warranty on the acer is still in tact

It all makes for an expensive screen and occasional windows use but it has taught me one thing, I will build myself in future and recommend others do the same.