Acer Aspire ZC-606 constantly restarting after RAM upgrade

Options
Asdfguy86
Asdfguy86 Member Posts: 33 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

This is a real issue for me. I wanted to give my Aspire ZC-606 PC 8GB RAM. Except when I insterted the new stick in the emoty slot, nothing. Not even a P.O.S.T. but with a 2gb 4+2gb=6gb, it would bring the Acer splash screen, try to boot, then restart. It PROBABLY wasn't the RAM, since it booted into BIOS just fine and detected the amount as 6144 MB. It boots fine with the original stick. Any help? (P.s IronFly this is where I need you)

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

Can you give me the brand and type of memory you are using? Have you looked to see if there is a BIOS update for this product that may resolve this? I do see a BIOS update for this model that mentions Hardware memory reservation.

• Asdfguy86
    Options

I tried 2 types of RAM. The original stick is a Kingston 4GB 1600MHz.

First type: Samsung 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Didn't Even post with the original and this stick in it, and didn't P.O.S.T with just this stick in it. Most likely a bad stick.

2nd RAM stick: Kingston 2GB 1600MHZ. With this stick and the original, the PC would boot to the windows splash screen, then restart. It wasn't a RAM issue, as it would boot into BIOIS just fine and it detected the total amount as 6144MB. I don't know why it didn't boot with 6GB ram installed (4gb and 2gb).

The exact model of the PC is an Acer Aspire ZC-606-UR24.

• Asdfguy86
    Options

It has the default BIOS installed, I will try updating the BIOS to see if this helps. I've also heard clearing the CMOS battery helps, and I might try that.

• Blayn-Acer
    Options
    Thanks for providing the additional information. From what I can tell, both sticks of memory you are trying are compatible with this system. I suggest trying the BIOS update and reporting back with your results. Is the memory you are trying new, or was it previously used?
  • Asdfguy86
    Options

Both RAM sticks came out of a Gateway Laptop that had no hard drive. Like I said, I will try the BIOS update to see if this helps, and it's weird that it sees the Kingston stick and can boot to BIOS, but Windows just restarts constantly.

• Asdfguy86
    Options

Ok, so it has the lastest BIOS and I cleared the CMOS battery. Still resstarting upon WIndows boot, BIOS worls just fine. Same issues as before. Untill a soulution is found, I think this PC is deemed unupgradable. Smiley Sad

• Blayn-Acer
    Options

This is odd. I have confirmed that this system is upgradable to 8GB. Does it boot with just the Kingston 2GB 1600MHZ stick in it? Is the memory you are using DDR3, or DDR3L? I show this system is supposed to use DDR3L memory.

• Asdfguy86
    Options

It does boot with the 2GB Kingston stick, slowly, and also CPU-Z and the Windows 10 System applicatioon shows that the system takes DDR3 RAM. (Shows "4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM). I will try to buy a DDR3L stick and see if that helps anything.

• Blayn-Acer
    Options

What is the part number of the original memory in the system? Is it DDR3L?

• Asdfguy86
    Options

(Major apologies for not repling for so long)
    Silly me, I have just realized the 2GB stick was DDR3 and not DDR3L! I'll report back once I buy sone 2x4GB DDR3L RAM.

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    I have used both DDR3 and DDR3L together, the main thing is the slowest stick needs to be in SLOT 1 because the slowest will slow down the other but if the FAST is in #1 it crashes Stick #2.