Acer Aspire Z5801 - Cursor Jumping Randomly all over Left portion of Windows screen

Options
tkrokosh
tkrokosh Member Posts: 3 New User

I was away over weekend and son got on my machine... upon returning, machine was very loud and sounded like a vacuum cleaner, was completely frozen (most likely fan).  Had to turn off with Power Button due to non-response.  Next day, powered up and it performed a full chkdsk and it cleaned up sectors.  Afterwards, when Windows booted up in login screen, my mouse began jumping to the left side of the screen (every couple of seconds)... changed batteries in mouse, no affect.  After Windows launched, this symptom continued but now it is selected the top icon (My Computer), then jumps down to another icon within the same first row of icons on Windows screen.  Continues to jump all over.  I can see it looks like I'm touching the screen, but I am not, no hands on mouse nor keyboard (without trackpad).  Updated Logitech Mouse drivers, to no avail.  Uninstalled Acer Touchpad, to no avail.  Performed a Recover from a few days ago, to no avail.  Currently running a full virus scan.  I have searched all over the internet, I have unchecked the Enhance Pointer Precision, to no avail.  I have also read that overheating may cause this issue - anyone heard of this before?  My fan has been fairly noisy of late and it was definitely overworking itself on Sunday.  Any ideas?

Also, son did not install any programs (drivers?) - usually plays steam games... and Windows explorer keeps stating is it not responding and restarts (explorer.exe).

Answers

• tkrokosh
    Options

Confirming some info...

1.  No programs installed - son was only on machine for approx 1/2 hour.

2.  Finished Full Scan and no viruses

3.  Watched the pattern last night and it appears to be the touchscreen that is randomly jumping up and down the first column of icons (left) of Windows 7 and selecting items.  I moved all the icons to the mid-right side of Windows and now it is touching 'nothing'... occassionally it finds my Start button and opens a prog through a touch... but it favors to touch the top 6 icons on my screen (that's why I thought virus... most screens are not 23").

4.  Found how to turn off touch screen - will perform tonight; if this does not work, then I will disable touch screen driver from the Device Manager.

I have had this machine for 2+ yrs and never encountered this issue before.  MS has made a few updates of late (including last night) wondering if an update corrupted driver.

• tkrokosh
    Options

Sorry, nope... nobody from the Community bothered to answer!  Ended up uninstalling software for touch screen...

and my machine will not upgrade to Windows 10, it fails everytime MS attempts to install it... then it has to recover old image.  Not very impressed with Acer...

• Jose-Acer
    Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,339 Community Administrator
    Options

It looks like you have performed most of the steps required to troubleshoot this issue.  As a last resort you could try to Restore the OS, but unfortunately this might be an issue with the display that would require repair.

For US and Canada, you can fill out the Self Service form to get more information regarding out of warranty repairs.  For other countries, please try contacting your local Support organization for more information.