Aspire S7 - 391 Wifi problems

Options
tmk
tmk Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I am having nothing but issues with wifi on my S7-391. I have installed the latest drivers from the site. My problem is Wifi works fine once connected - but anytime the laptop sleeps and wakes up - it may or may not reconnect.

Help - This is really unacceptable on a high end laptop. 

Answers

• rosustefan
    rosustefan Member Posts: 26

Tinkerer

Options

hello. i experience the same problem with wifi. besides that, i want to ask you if you have this problems:

1. in the music app, does the background looks like it's on motion? i have his problem. in a few seconds it stops and the contrast of the screen changes and looks bad!... ( not only in the music app, but it's more noticeable there.)

2. does the display have grey corners? mine loses some light in the botom corners and it looks like it has a little shadow there..

3. my keyboard registers sometimes 2 keys when i press one. did u notice that on your machine?

4. my touchpad doesn't work very well. when i move the cursor from one corner to the other ( in diagonal) it looks like it's not moving straight, it is like it's drowing some stairs. it wobles... it.s imprecise.

i am dissapointed because i expected to be a great machine considering the price and the brand. i hope the service will fix them.

other than that, nothing to say. great device. but still.... hope i solve this..

good luck to you too!

• tmk

Tinkerer

Options

i have the greyish corners.. I can live with that. 

Music app seems to redraw the background - i suspect that's what you're refering too. I think that's a Win 8 deal.

My keyboard has been pretty solid. No issues. Touchpad OK 

Wifi.. Still not great after a support call.. We really need working Atheros drivers - it's hobbling a pretty nice machine. 

Acer - please tell us you're working on another driver release?

• nhendrix
    nhendrix Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Same issue with WiFi not reconnecting after sleep mode. I even have difficulty getting it to connect after a full shutdown if it was not connecting before the shutdown. Acer - please fix this. I'm very disappointed with this issue. It really makes a beautiful machine just an expensive brick!

• yesiwearaspeedo
    yesiwearaspeedo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I am having the same issue.  I am also having the issue of no wireless network connection even when it says it is connected.  I am just trying to copy a file from another pc on the network, and it takes reconnecting to the network several times even though it says it is still connected.  I thought it may be my home network, but then at my grandparents and at my parents I will be online and then I can't open any links even though it shows I have a connection and full bars.  Complete ***** wifi connectivity.  

• tmk

Tinkerer

Options

I am having that as well - showing connected but not - and then Windows kinda gets lost and I usually need to reboot. 

I think I am sending mine into service - Acer can figure it out.... 

• kevinsmith
    kevinsmith Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

My s7 wifi connection will freeze about once an hour, everything I am doing comes to a halt and I need to either wait a few minutes or manually turn wifi on and off to get it working again.

I have confirmed with a different device that wifi is working during these times, does anybody have an idea on how to fix this?

• Zimmie
    Zimmie Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have the same problem on my S7-391 when im surfing the wifi im losing the wifi conection.

I have installed the new drivers i think thats the problem the new wifi driver is not good.

I dont had this problem on the default wifi driver so try to install the old driver but i dont know how

• tmk

Tinkerer

Options

I tried regressing the drivers - for me it was buggy on both versions - Laptop goes into service today. I kinda hope it's hardware related but I bet they find no issues.. 

Sigh - I am considering buying a cheap Wifi usb dongle that has support until (or IF) acer/qualcomm ever fix this... So my paperweight becomes useful.. 

• clinks
    clinks Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

I have the same problem with a flaky Wi-Fi connection.

Just updated the driver to version 10.0.0.217, however the problem still exists!

This is one of those things that you make dislike a PC, it is not bad enough to buy a new WiFi card and it works just good enough to suffer.

Returning the PC to the supplier is not an option after all the installs...

Hopefully there is a newer driver update soon!

• clinks
    clinks Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

In addition: the problem manufest itself at home and at work. At work the problem happens both on the company network, as well as on the guest network. Therefore I have to conclude that it is the S7, and not the access router. It manifests itself as follows: the connection is fine, but all of a sudden drops for abotu 1 minute. Then it seems as if the WiFi card reset itself and everything is fine again, until maybe 10 minutes later. It is hard to work this way, and a Skype call just drops... Highly annoying.

I have turned off the machine allowing to put the WiFi card in sleep mode, but that does not seem to make any difference.

Help!

• kikka
    kikka Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have the same issue and make highly annonying when i play online game (Disconnect every 5 mins) Smiley Sad

Hopefully, there is solution soon.Woman Embarassed

• tmk

Tinkerer

Options

I think we need to be very vocal with Acer on this - we bought top line machines that should just work. I could have bought an - gasp - Apple product for this $$$ and it would not have these issues. 

I have sent my machine into service - I have a formal complaint with customer service - I encourage you to do the same. Leave reviews where you bought your machine - warn others to not buy this product - it's pretty hardware that wasn't quite ready for release... 

TMK

• bricelam
    bricelam Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I was having the same problems with the latest driver. Enabling IPv6 on my wireless router appears to have fixed the problem.

• nys
    nys Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Having same problems with intermittent limited connectivity. Have a linksys e1200 router with updated firmware, . Also have updated wireless driver, however problem still not resolved.

NYS

• thsu
    thsu Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I also have the intermittent wifi disconnects.  It happens at home and at 5 different Starbucks locations.  So I am fairly certain it is the problem with S7.  I tried tweaking all possible power management properties and the issue is still there.

I too havve the touchy keyboard issue.  Every paragraph that I type, I would experience 2 to 3 repeated characters.  If I intentionallyy type very light, it doesn't happen as frequently.  Note this parragraph has 3 incidents of repeated characters.  I left them uncorrected to show how frequent they happen.

Now that Rosustefan mentioned it, I also noticed the greyish hue on the lower two corners of the screen.  I wonder if that's normal on all S7 screens.

• TheACN
    TheACN Member Posts: 15 New User
    Options

Same here! It's really annoying. I am using liinksys acess point and connection drops like in every 10 min or so. I also got an alienware for gaming connected to the same wireless network  and never had this issue. This tells me that something is wrong with s7!

• fdmason
    fdmason Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Same problem here. I have to go in and manually disconnect and reconnect for wifi to start working again. It would be nice if they at least acknowledge this as an issue and let us know that a fix/new driver is forthcoming.

• nys
    nys Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Update:

So my problem seems to have resolved. I initially had updated my driver (10.0.0.217), however that did not solve the issue. The missing step seemed to be that a full uninstall of the wireless driver was necessary. After that, I restarted my computer, and the wireless adapter had automically reinstalled (10.0.0.75), to this older version. Since then, I have had not had any connection issues, at least for the last 24 hours. Hope this helps, will update if run into any issues. 

• dm
    dm Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hello,

I've got the same troubles with Wifi reception. Using Vistumbler, I realised that Wifi reception of the S7 is very poor, the signal received is very volatile ranging from 52 to 92% within a few seconds without moving the computer, while on my wife's Aspire 1410 the signal is very stable at 99% at the same location in the house. I also noticed that when I lose the connection, getting closer to the wifi router (within 2 metres) allows the S7 to reconnect. Worst case scenario: the S7 Wifi card is so bad that it can't get a decent signal at more than 2 metres from the router. Best case scenario: the driver handles the received signal very badly and a new driver could improve this.

I have reinstalled the driver, and the S7 does not disconnect so often, but the signal is still very volatile and low compared to the Aspire 1410. I would have thought that the Wifi technology was well mastered nowadays... Acer do something !

• bayeeblue
    bayeeblue Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Same problem here even after install the lateset driver 10.0.0.217. It seem the WIFI will auto disconnect even when the S7 is doing noting!

I do a ping 192.168.1.1 -t to my router and will see it will "request time out" after a few minutes, then will reconnect again in 30-60sec time.

By pressing Fn-Q 2 time (turn on airplane mode and turn it off again) will help quickly reconnect.

Also, it seem disable bluetooth will help solve this problem (am testing with this now, guys here please also help test if disable bluetooth help solve this problem).

Feel like it is a driver bug. Disappointed with such kind of price and such kind of quality. S7 look stunning from the outside, but the inside is rather a disappointment. What I hate most is the fan will get busy and noisy even when the notebook is not doing much work.

Update: Just got DC, disable bluetooth will not solve this problem...