W700 ssd replacement

zumer
zumer Member Posts: 3 New User

I was curious how hard it would be to replace the 64 gig ssd that came with model with something larger down the road.  Won't crack it open right away to preserve the warrant, but I see a need down the road to upgrade.  Has anyone experimented yet?

zumer

Answers

• Crazy9000
    Crazy9000 Member Posts: 4 New User

I put a 256gb ssd in mine. Evidently any 'msata' ssd should work, make sure not to get a regular sata one. You have to get the plastic strip on the back off to access two screws. After taking them out, you can gently push the screen out so you can get a small screwdriver or something in. I worked my way around the screen with two of them, until you can pop it out. Then you disconnect the top cable from the screen (windows key is bottom). Now you can see the whole motherboard... you have to unscrew everything and take the motherboard out to get at the ssd underneath. There was one more cable by the hdmi port I had to disconnect to get it to pop out high enough to pop the new ssd in.

I never found a good method for getting the motherboard in or out of the case since its such a tight fit . I ended up putting a ton of stress on the audio port, but luckily it seems to have survived. It was a lot more difficult then I thought it would be, but it is nice having the extra space.

• jordanl17
    jordanl17 Member Posts: 4 New User

I put a 120gb msata ssd in.   It's not fun, but not impossible.   Do just as the other poster says.   use proper tools to pry off the plastic strip on the back.  i used a little too much force and there is now a bend mark on the plastic, no big deal.     Then you'll sweat a bit as you push the screen away from the chassis.     Any experineced computer person won't have a problem replacing the SSD.      On the white strip there are a couple of clips ..  it's not just double sided tape!

• sc00ter98
    sc00ter98 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Is it possible to make a youtube video how to open and replace a ssd?

Witch ssd is supported from the bios?

Im intereested on a 256 gb maybe this one

Crucial CT256M4SSD3 256GB interne SSD-Festplatte mSATA

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 84 Troubleshooter

Hi,

I just want to add replacing the msata maybe fine. But if you damage the unit will attempting to upgrade will void your warranty.

• rocket
    rocket Member Posts: 3 New User

It would be nice if ACER would just offer the W700 with a 256GB SSD and save us all the trouble. 

• sc00ter98
    sc00ter98 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

• PEJUman
    PEJUman Member Posts: 3 New User

Thanks for the video, another questions, do you know if the CPU socketed?

i.e. potential upgrade to same TDP CPUs?

i7 3667u or something along those lines. the tray prices for I3 3217u and I5 3317u is actually the same, makes me think they just separated by their "real life" TDP.

Additionally, anyone tried upgrading the wifi to 3x3 modules? intel 5300 or 6300? did acer whitelist the wifi cards?

• guitarmang
    guitarmang Member Posts: 18 New User

Hi,

I have a question for you guys that replaced the sdd. After you replaced the hard drive did you reinstall the OS from the Acer recovery disc?

Thanks

• luisvieyra
    luisvieyra Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi guys, can you let me know what model and brand you use to replace the hard drive in a w700 tablet? how did you install the operating system on the new msata?? thanks

• luisvieyra

hi, can you let me know what model and brand you use to replace the hard drive in your  w700 tablet? how did you install the operating system on the new msata?? thanks

• 1stTimeAcer
    1stTimeAcer Member Posts: 96 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I personally went with the Crucial M4 256gb (mSata) and the performance is excellent, however pretty much any msata ssd will work just fine.

To reinstall the system, I used an external usb dvd drive and ran the recovery discs. If you currently have files you want to keep, make sure to back them up to an external storage before starting the swapping process.

• john82009
    john82009 Member Posts: 10 New User

thank you all for the great information.  i might be 'ooking in to doing this at a later date

• jrsh143
    jrsh143 Member Posts: 1 New User

I just replaced my 64GB SSD with a 256 Crucial M4 256GB SSD.

1. I followed the instructions and had no issues getting things apart.

2. The two wires that connect the WiFi and BT were a pain in *****$. After they fell off (once you pull up the motherboard to access the SSD on the bottom) I had to use electric tape to get it to stay in. It was not fun.

3. I purchased a msata to sata adapter and inserted the old 64gb ssd into my Vantec Nexstar USB 3.0 hard drive dock. I used Acronis True Image (Windows 8 version) to "copy" the drive to a 128GB thumb drive. I then copied the 128gb thumb drive back to the new 256GB ssd.  I installed the new 256gb ssd and then it worked - with all the original settings (I didn't have to reinstall).

I recommend Newegg for the msata to ssd adapter which was only $16.

• luisvieyra

Hi I just acquire a new W700P with 128Gb capacity and a new Crucial m4 256GB mSATA SSD CT256M4SSD3, I’ll upgrade the hard drive on my new W700P following the instruction on the next YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WkDrJq5cc8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

But after I’ve been upgraded the hard drive how do I reinstall the operating System and drivers? In the box of my new tablet there wasn’t any restoration cd o dvd, however there is an application called “Acer Recovery Management” , there is an option in that app that allows me to create a recovery drive and copy the recovery partition from the tablet to a drive,……done!

Here the questions:

1. I assume in the recovery drive the operating system (windows 8) was backed up?.. is it true?
    2. How do I restore the operating system and drives to my w700P with the new hard drive upgraded ?
    3. How do I boot from a USB?

Thanks a lot!!

• Elowenn
    Elowenn Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello, I did a similar swapout on my W700 with a crucial 240gb msata. Everything appeared to work fine, installed the OS recovery discs.. but after the setup does its installation of drivers and various programs.. it gets stuck 68/69 on "Installing Clean". It sat on that status for about an hour. I admit I didn't do the recovery on a charger (though in the end I found the battery had half strength remaining) so I was paranoid it would cut out. I ended up restarting it but it still stalls on that installing clean. Apparently that's a hardware issue.. so I swapped back the old harddrive and no issues. It worked same as before.. no missing/unknown devices in Device Manager. Anyone have a similar experience..? Does that cleanup process take a long time or should it be fast?
  • krotch
    krotch Member Posts: 3 New User

I recently swapped my SSD to the 256 gig Crucial one (CT256M4SSD3). Everything seems to be good, except, it always pops me into the BIOS on bootup. I have no idea why it doesn't just boot right up to Windows. Contemplating on loading BIOS 2.12.

• airicd22
    airicd22 Member Posts: 2 New User

i have had this problem too, one time was for over 4 hours but after i plug the power in it moves to 69. i have no idea why this happens but for some reason it must be plugged in to complete the process.

• gentong
    gentong Member Posts: 32 New User

is it possible to upgrade ssd from W511 ?

• airicd22
    airicd22 Member Posts: 2 New User

If you have ever installed hardware on a pc you should be able to do this, everything is just smaller. Just remember to unplug everything and replug when done. If you have a regular windows 8 CD, you go begin the installation ith that CD and select custom installion and from there you can format the hard drive then create a new drive. After that, with the acer CDs you can do a complete wipe of the system. this is what I did when I replaced the SSD.

here's to notes for the software installation:

1. If you ever let an installation step hang for too long (when it asks you to put in the next disk) you may have to do everything all over again and you will have to format the SSD.

2. When the disks are done you will have to wait for 69 updates to install- the power cord must be plugged in for the to complete.

3. i just icked up a external mSata case with usb 3.0 connector so now i just use the 64gb ssd for extra storage.

4. if you are having trouble booting from your CD rom drive get a regular pc usb keyboard and hold f12 during bootup.

This discussion has been closed.