Can't upgrade A500 to ICS

sundayiron
sundayiron Member Posts: 6 New User

In settings / about tablet there is no option for upgrading, so from the play store I downloaded the ICONIA TAB Update Enhancement, downloads fine, but when installing it gives an Error messsage - " Incompatible with other application(s) using the same shared user ID. "

I've downloaded direct from Acer and it just says application not installed.

Any Ideas???????

Thanks.

Best Answer

• sundayiron
    Answer ✓

Well Acer got back to me ( which was nice ) but there solution was to do a hard re-boot, which was done but to no avail.

So I decided to sort this out myself and it ended up being quite easy!!

First stage was to root the table..... and put a different version of 3.2 on the tablet. 

I then downloaded the Acer Iconnica update app from the play store, this time it installed, re booted, went into settings - about - check updates and BINGO an update was available, downloaded that and we now have Ice Cream Sandwich installed from Acer.

Simple ( in the end )

Thanks for the replies Guys!!!!

[edited to comply with guidelines]

Answers

• sundayiron

bump

• woytaz
    woytaz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Have the same! Any help to sort it out?
  • sundayiron

Sorry to bump again, but really struggling to get help on this.

Thanks people!!!!!!!! Smiley Wink

• kiwipeso
    kiwipeso Member Posts: 82

Tinkerer

You might not have ICS available where you are yet. As the A500 and A501 are not a global model, there is likely to be something specific about your hardware which is yet to get covered, however you are likely to see ICS before you are ready for your next tablet. Smiley Very Happy

• sundayiron

Thanks for the reply, I have sent an email to Acer and we will see what happens from there!!

Cheers again.

• sundayiron
    Answer ✓

Well Acer got back to me ( which was nice ) but there solution was to do a hard re-boot, which was done but to no avail.

So I decided to sort this out myself and it ended up being quite easy!!

First stage was to root the table..... and put a different version of 3.2 on the tablet. 

I then downloaded the Acer Iconnica update app from the play store, this time it installed, re booted, went into settings - about - check updates and BINGO an update was available, downloaded that and we now have Ice Cream Sandwich installed from Acer.

Simple ( in the end )

Thanks for the replies Guys!!!!

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• anniexo59
    anniexo59 Member Posts: 1 New User

I would like to do what you did to your A500...as you said "Root the table, upgrade to 3.2 and then to ice cream sandwich. can you elaborate or explain in layman's terms how to do this- I am good with following directions and and have some computer skills. please help! thank you!

• bgeps
    bgeps Member Posts: 2 New User

Same request--I can't get my A500 to update to ICS. How do you update to 3.2?
    Thanks!

• cthatchitt
    cthatchitt Member Posts: 7 New User

Hello, new to forum.  I pulled out my Acer A500 tablet that I got for my daughter three years ago (she wanted an ipad) which hasn't been used in awhile.  I powered it up and noticed that it is running version 3.2.1.  I read how one can upgrade it to ICS 4.0 with the Iconia Tab Update Enhancement from the Play Store.  For some reason this app won't show up when I try to search for it in Play Store.

Can someone help me and tell me how I go about upgrading this to ICS and then Jelly Bean?

Is there any other informaion that I should include in this post?

Build Number: Acer_A500_7.014.02_COM_GEN2

Kernel version: 2.6.36.3+

Thanks!

Chris

• cthatchitt
    Thank you for the response but I have tried that and it says that my device is not compatible. Don't know what to do to make it compatible.
  • cthatchitt
    I get to the install screen and it says that I have no eligible devices for app install. How do I make it eligible?
  • cthatchitt

Ok.  I clicked on the lingk and it downloaded what said was as system update.  I don't notice anything different other than I can't connect to the internet now.  

Are there any specific steps thgat I need to do other than click and download?

• cthatchitt

Hold one.  After awhile of messing around I have been able to run a system update... lets hope it works.

Thanks!!  

• cthatchitt

I just installed 4.0.3 now.  Thank you very much!!!!  I really appreciate it.

• medo3000
    medo3000 Member Posts: 12 New User

You're welcome! I'm glad I could helpSmiley Happy

• cthatchitt

Thanks again.  Now I am searching to see if I can up grade to Jelly Bean.  Happy Easter to you!

This discussion has been closed.