Cannot Restore to Factory Defaults

Options
DeZ
DeZ Member Posts: 7 New User

I own the Acer Aspire 7741z notebook. The computer has frequent issues, and I want to restore it to factory default settings. I've already backed up the important files, and had planned to do a full restore back to factory defaults, but the eRecovery program is not working for me. It starts the process, says it needs to reboot, verifies that I want to overwrite the data on the hard drive, and reboots. The problem is, it just reboots. No recovery process, no factory default reset. Alt+F10 during the boot process does nothing.

I've verified the partitions still exist, and I've made no system modifications since purchase (no formats, etc). Of course, I'm no longer under the warranty period, so it seems getting help direct from Acer isn't going to happen.

Can anyone assist? I'd really like to restore this laptop to its factory defaults.

Best Answer

• DeZ
    Answer ✓
    Options

I thought I'd chime in here again to potentially help anyone else that has this problem in the future. I was able to fix my issue. None of the standard methods worked (as indicated in my original post), so I did a lot of digging online. I came across a page (link below) detailing something similar to mine with a link to a CD image used to create a bootable disk. Using this image, I was able to manually push the laptop to boot from the recovery partition, start the recovery process, and my machine is now back to factory defaults.

Hopefully this will help someone.

Link to the site with the CD image: http://www.question-defense.com/2010/11/23/how-to-boot-the-recovery-partition-on-a-acer-aspire-when-alt-f10-does-not-work

Answers

• DeZ
    Answer ✓
    Options

I thought I'd chime in here again to potentially help anyone else that has this problem in the future. I was able to fix my issue. None of the standard methods worked (as indicated in my original post), so I did a lot of digging online. I came across a page (link below) detailing something similar to mine with a link to a CD image used to create a bootable disk. Using this image, I was able to manually push the laptop to boot from the recovery partition, start the recovery process, and my machine is now back to factory defaults.

Hopefully this will help someone.

Link to the site with the CD image: http://www.question-defense.com/2010/11/23/how-to-boot-the-recovery-partition-on-a-acer-aspire-when-alt-f10-does-not-work

This discussion has been closed.