Can I upgrade the memory in my Acer Aspire one D255E netbook from 1 GB to 2 GB?

pmacay
pmacay Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire one D255E netbook that came configured with 1 GB factory installed software.  When I bought it, the product specs said it supports a maximum of 2 GB of memory.  I would like to upgrade the memory.  I did a search on their FAQ support page and it says:

"While the Aspire One AOD255 series supports a total of 2GB of DDR3 RAM, due to the design of the netbook the RAM on the Aspire One AOD255 series is not replaceable and Acer does not support upgrading or replacing the RAM."

I don't know if my Acer Aspire one D255E is the same as the D255, but I couldn't find any other help on my specific model.  Seems odd that it says it supports 2 GB of memory, but then they say don't support upgrading it.  Since the netbook is now out of factory warrenty, I'd be happy to buy the 2GB memory chip and install it myself if I knew it would work.

Thanks for any ideas!

Sincerely, Peter

[edited for privacy]

Answers

• freeza
    freeza Member Posts: 1,316 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Good day

If your machine has either Intel Atom processor N455/N475/N550, then you must use DDR3 - Maximum 2Gig

If your machine has Intel Atom processor N450 only, then you must use DDR2 - Maximum 2Gig

Regards,

Freeza

• Robin
    Robin Member Posts: 2 New User

If this helps. I have an AOD255, which has been upgraded from 1 to 2GB memory. Online tutorials made it look easy, but I still decided to get it done professionally. However, the techie had to virtually strip the machine down to replace the memory. It was worth it, and not that expensive. £30 all in!

This discussion has been closed.