5755G SSD Upgrade

Options
Treebys
Treebys Member Posts: 7 New User

I've just orders an Aspire 5755G i7 72678G50Bnks LX.RVCEK.004 and one of the first things I want to do is switch the HDD for an Intel SSD but I can't find any information on the topic such as form factor required (though I'm guessing 2.5 9.5mm) and whther it supports SATA II or III. Any info on the matter appreciated.

Answers

• mobile01
    mobile01 Member Posts: 68

Tinkerer

Options

as5755g uses regular 2.5" 9.5mm hd

i thnk it only support sata2, but sata3 is backward compatible with sata2 though

• Treebys
    Options

ok, thanks, at least that would mean I could buy a cheaper SSD.

• Treebys
    Options

BTW, I posted this question to Acer but haven't had a response yet. I'll update this if they do. The standard HDD is a SATAII so I guess that's a given but I'd be disappointed if an i7 laptop can't support SATA III.

• mobile01
    mobile01 Member Posts: 68

Tinkerer

Options

sorry, i made a mistake

as5755g should support sata 3 since it uses Mobile Intel® HM65 Express Chipset

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/2011/Acer/Aspire/Aspire5755G/Aspire5755Gsp2.shtml

• Treebys
    Options

Thanks, agreed. Just got laptop and used the Crucial scanning tool which confirmed SATA III. Have ordered Crucial M4 256Gb Smiley Happy

• Treebys
    Options

So much for "Guaranteed-compatible with the Acer Aspire 5755G". Compatible, I wouldn't know yet as it doesn't fit without breaking off some plastic on the laptop bay which would invalidate my new laptop warranty. Grrrrr.....

• Treebys
    Options

Crucial promised a replacement next day. Waited in but it never arrived. Turns out they didn't have any stock but didn't think of calling me who had to wait to sign for it. Have had so many calls, they just don't get 'customer service'! Grrrr

• Treebys
    Options

Should have stuck to my original decision and gone with Intel.

This discussion has been closed.