pxe boot a aspire switch 10

Options
Alext0616
Alext0616 Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi in my school district im interning for we got a shipment of 450 Aspire switch 10, how do you pxe boot on them we cant figure out how??

I have looked everywere to find out how and no luck

Best Answer

• Alext0616
    Answer ✓
    Options

I used a AX88772 usb to ethernet adapter which will work fine.  The Switch 10 is you must set the network boot in the boot order to #1 otherwise it won't boot to Windows Deployment Server.  This is different from the ACER W510 as you would hit F12 to network boot.  Hope this helps. 

Answers

• silizium
    silizium Member Posts: 239 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Press F12 during boot or change the boot order in BIOS.

• Alext0616
    Options

yes we have done that it is till not popping up

• KNGP14
    KNGP14 Member Posts: 19 New User
    Options

I'm from Germany, sorry If I not unserstand your problem.

You want to get into UEFI BIOS Settings? While booting up the Switch 10 you have 2 possibilities: BIOS Menu and Boot Manager.

At first, you have to really Power Off the Tablet. To do that, there are more than one possibility, one is: Because Windows 8 is very comfortable, you can hold the Power Button to get it fully off.

Then press and hold the "Volume Up Button", then press the "Power Button". Release both when the tablet starts.

Now you are in the BIOS Menu.

Now you have to active the access to the Boot Manager while Booting Up:

Go to "Main", "F12 Boot Menu", click on "[Disabled]" and then on "[Enabled]". After that, go to "Exit" and "Exit Saving Changes". Otherwise you could now edit the Boot Menu under "Boot" or you go to my next step.

To get into the Boot Manager for Booting from USB or something like that, press and hold the "Volume Down Button", hit the "Power Button" and release if the tablet starts. Now select the device you wnat, or the "Windows Boot Manager" for Windows 8.1.

NOTICE: If you release the Buttons to start the Boot Menu, you will get into the Recovery Mode of Windows. You can see that, if under the circle is located the text "Please Wait".

I hope this was what you mentioned, otherwise take a reply.

• KNGP14
    Options

In addition: If you want to edit more Options in the Bios Settings, like to disable the Secure Boot, you have to set a "Super Visor Password" in the "Security" Tab. After creating this key (for example 1234), all option will be editable.

NOTICE: Activating the Supervisor Key means, that everytime you want to enter the BIOS, you have to type in this password. So take a simple one, or be true to remember it.

• silizium
    Options

@KNGP14

Er will einen Netzwerk-Boot machen. Wie er ins BIOS kommt, weiß er.

• KNGP14
    Options
    Oh je Smiley Happy Okay danke.
    Aber wenn "not popping up" hat er vielleicht die F12 Bootmenü-Option nicht aktiviert, dann bringt F12 drücken auch nichts.
  • ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

The Acer Community is a global peer to peer support forum where users share their experiences and expertise with Acer products.

Because of the multi-national nature of our community, we have asked that users post in English only, as that is the most common language to all users. By doing this, our members are more likely to get a response to their question, and those answers will be available to the entire community as a resource.

• Alext0616
    Options

Noneof these steps have worked we only got one out of 3 to work but we have 450 that we would have to do. we think its an acer problem.

• KNGP14
    Options

What OS do you want boot on the Switch 10? I think, that there is the same BIOS limitation like on another Iconia Tablet (I forget which one it is), so the Switch 10 only boots Windows 8 OS versions.

I wanted to boot from USB Android on Intel, on my PC with UEFI it worked, not on Switch 10. Then I've tried Windows 7, same problem. Finally I wanted to boot a clean Windows 8 setup to delete all Acer Software (Recovery Partitions etc.) and that worked.

• silizium
    Options

What kind auf PXE server you are running? What network technology?

• Alext0616
    Options
    We are using a windows 2012 server with wds on it
  • Alext0616
    Options

I am using WDS as a pxe boot and using MDT to configure my images with server 2012.  I have 350 acer iconia w510 tablets that I was able to image just fine.  I enable F12 to pxe with supervisor password, and I shut off secure boot in the bios V1.05.  When I press F12 and choose ipv4 to network boot it never reaches WDS ipaddress and never downloads the nep file to load litetouch.  I am using AX88772 chipset USB LAN adapter.  Any suggestion would be greatful

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi Alex,

Are you still having issues? Is the USB to LAN device using the MicroUSB port or the port on the KB dock?

Cory

• Alext0616
    Answer ✓
    Options

I used a AX88772 usb to ethernet adapter which will work fine.  The Switch 10 is you must set the network boot in the boot order to #1 otherwise it won't boot to Windows Deployment Server.  This is different from the ACER W510 as you would hit F12 to network boot.  Hope this helps. 

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Great, glad you got it working.

Cory

• Cool_Fire
    Cool_Fire Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Can you share some details on the exact PXE setup you used? I've been trying for days to get my switch 10 to boot off anything other than the internal disk.

• Alext0616
    Options

we are using a wds server to connect to... you can not boot off of a usb yet

This discussion has been closed.