new laptop wont connect to home wifi

Options
amychadd
amychadd Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi I have bought a new aspire - which doesnt connect (or very poorly connects) to home wifi - but works on the wifi at a friends house excellently.

both my old dell laptop and iphone/ipad/ etc all work on the home wifi without any problems ever. is there a different connector or something in this laptop?

wish id never bought it as cant use it in my own home.... help please!

Answers

• Itala
    Itala Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi, same thing just happened to me. Bought it last night and I can't get it to connect on my wi-fi. Not sure what to do.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Options

Did you or someone else set up your router to work with your Dell and iPad?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• babafooka
    babafooka Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

First thing you can do is remove network from connection manager and try again. The reason is some time people change wifi router settings after 1st connection then computer try to connect with previous settings which are saved in profile.

If it does not work then

2nd go your wifi router settings and change wireless mode BGN or N to B mode. Then remove network again from connection manager and try again.

3rd Remove your wifi driver and install again but only driver not wifi application if available.

I hope it will work.

• acl
    acl Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

We have the same problem. We tried everything: update drivers, reset router, update to 8.1. It won't work. It seems to work with some routers or even my cell phone, if it is setup as a hotspot but not with a Dlink router.

• JackE
    Options

Again, please answer question. Did you or someone else set up your router? For example, a router can be set to only connect to certain computers by way of each computer's machine access code, aka MAC address. If the router doesn't recognize a computer's MAC address, it will NOT connect to it.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• amychadd
    amychadd Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I set it up- as per the instructions in the box. I have no idea what a MAC address is....
  • JackE
    Options

OK, since your computer is sitll under warranty you need to contact acer support. Simply state that it will not connect to your router.  

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.