new hdd installed, can't uppdate to win 8.1

davyg57
davyg57 Member Posts: 3 New User

I had to return my aspire unit back to Acer repair as the original HDD died just 4 months into the warranty period.... unit was returned to me on 17/01/14 with a new HDD installed... however... I noticed that there were 2 seperate graphics software installed, namely Intel HD400 (originaly installed on my unit) and Nvidia graphics software!!! , also saw that ALPS touchpad software was installed... my original unit had ELAN touchpad, I had to uninstall the ALPS and install the ELAN driver to enable me to get the full fucntions from the touchpad...NTI backup software was installed where I had Norton back-it up previously...

The problem I have now is that I am unable to update my windows 8  to 8.1 via the Windows Store!!! I have tried to do thhis twice today, all goes well until reboot where I am asked for a product key!

I don't have a product key to insert as the unit does not have a COA lable anywhere on it..... I try and skip this part of the update process only for the system to hang on the creating user account....... system just hangs at this point (left it for over 30 min and nowt happpened) , I have to switch off and allow the setup to revert back to my original windows.....

why is this happpening? can anyone shed any light on my dilema???

Answers

• davyg57

just keeps getting better and better... I have since tried to create a factory backup using the Acer e-recovery console from within windows 8... all I get is the error message   "hard drive configuration is not set to the factory default. backup aborted"

I still have a USB backup from when I first bought the unit, will I be able to do a complete system restore from that even though there has been a new HDD fitted, as I am thinking that the partitions may be somewhat different as was the software and drivers..

I really need some help and advice please peeps... :-)

• davyg57

never mind....I seem to have corrected the factory restore problem...

This discussion has been closed.