iconia a501 update

siins
siins Member Posts: 9 New User
Hello my Ionia a501 was given to me as a hand me down. The first thing I tried to do was update it from 3.2 to 4.0 but it say,s I'm up to date so I ask Acer support and was told that there are no updates for my tablet because I live in the united states I was like how GAY is that... anyway I've done some reading and if I was to root my tab then update it I would lose my 3g connection from what I've read and it may cause more problem 's .. Is there truly no way for me to update? Can anyone shed some light on this thank you

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Unfortunately, there is no update available in the US for the A501. Also, Acer is unable to provide support for rooting your device. I apologize for any inconvenience.

• siins
    Well I'LL be sure not to buy any Acer products in the future from all that I have read about the a501 is that it was dropped only. 4 months after it's release and it seems Acer can't get around making a update because of the 3g but yet a 15 year old kid name Thor has a working update from the 3.2 to the 4.0 ics with the 3g working maybe you guys should offer this kid a job
  • siins
    Yea unfortunately I will never buy acer again and i gave this a501 to my 12 year old and I went out and got a real tablet one with software support like the Asus Tf700t they don't seem to have any problems figuring out out to load ICS or JB on to there tablet
  • RudeDirk_Pitt
    RudeDirk_Pitt Member Posts: 1 New User

Acer-blayn you should be given a raise or made president to speak for Acer and tell the A501 community no update will be released. However Acer will likely perish with its poor customer service so don't take into the bank. Like many I will never buy Acer again. Rogers here in Canada is equally to blame for suckering people into contracts for what has become a useless door stop. I should shoulder some of the blame for not doing my homework and getting into a 2 year contract (one year left) and giving away my hard earned money to these two but my A501 was a gift from my wife. I feel for her for thinking she thought she was giving me something special. what a suprise!!!

• kiwipeso
    kiwipeso Member Posts: 82

Tinkerer

Alternatively, you could go on holiday in Australia or New Zealand and update your A501 to ICS over here in the south pacific.

• auntieannie2
    auntieannie2 Member Posts: 6 New User

I've been wondering about that: I live in the US and bought the acer iconia here, but I plan to go to Europe in a few weeks. Could I update my acer iconia a501 to ICS in Europe even thoght its a US/ATT model? Thank you, Anne

• kiwipeso

Tinkerer

That would depend on whether it is CDMA or gsm.

So long as you can use a gsm sim card, then as long as the carrier has the update you can do it.

However, I am unsure if that will be all of Europe.

It will definitely have the updates on all Australian and New Zealand networks. (GSM only)

I am unsure if there are any countries outside north america which have cdma , so check it.

I believe it should have gsm though. Good luck and use a local sim in Europe.

• auntieannie2
    auntieannie2 Member Posts: 6 New User

Thank you, the US acer a501 has gsm ( I have a prepay plan) and is locked to the ATT network. ATT will not unlock this tablet.  Is the update carrier specific or is it only tablet specific? I plan to be in Germany, Switzerland and Austria and I read that in Germany there has been an update to ICS for the A501, I don't know  what carrier it is tied to but I assume it should not be hard to find out. The tablet is large, so I don't want to take it with me unless there is a good chance I could upgrade it.

• kiwipeso

Tinkerer

You can call ATT and get them to unlock it for $30. I used to get tourists to do that all the time.

You might have to be overseas to get them to unlock, but they will do it when you are out of the states.

• Lunardock
    Lunardock Member Posts: 1 New User

Why is there no update available?  Why are US customers being short-changed???!!!

Thanks in advance...

• kiwipeso

Tinkerer

Most of the issues with USA support has to do with supporting CDMA and gsm at the same time.

You are also not helped by the DMCA act.

This discussion has been closed.