black screen - flash bios V5-571

chigers
chigers Member Posts: 6 New User

My V5-571 suddenly stopped working. That is, when you turn it on, you get a black screen. It seems I need to flash the BIOS. However, you need an FD file to do that, and none of the BIOS downloads on the Acer site for this model seem to have such a file. Does anyonw know of an alternate way to flash the BIOS?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    You may perform power reset.
    Unplug the AC adapter from your notebook.
    Turn the notebook over to remove the battery. Turn the notebook back over and open it.Hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then release the power button.
    Turn the notebook back over and slide the battery back into place.Slide the lock tab back into the lock position.Turn over the notebook one last time and plug in your AC adapter.Turn on your notebook.

You may also ckeck by connecting an external monitor and check if you get any display.

If you have a unit from US or Canada, you may also live chat with an Acer technician at : Acer live chat
    If you have purchased the computer in any other country, you may contact Acer support here : Acer Global Support

• chigers

B"H

Sharanji,

Thanks. I tried both things. The power reset did not do anything. Connecting the laptop to an HDMI monitor and booting up also did nothing, there was no image.

I am thinking, from what I have seen, that this could be either a dead battery on the motherboard (this was manufactured in 2012 so it could be time to replace the battery) OR require flashing the BIOS. The instructions I have seen for flashing the BIOS requires an .fd file that you can flash using a flash drive. But the drivers on the Acer site for this machine only has .exe files for updating the BIOS.

What should I do now? Although this was bought at Walmart in September 2013, Acer claims it was bought in 2012, and we are in the middle of getting them the receipt. So while it SHOULD be under warranty, it is not yet officially covered.

• chigers

Here is an update: I spoke with Acer, who referred me to warranty service. But since the computer was bought in the US and I am current oversease, they say it is not covered, even though is still less than a year since it was purchased.

So, if anyone can please explain how to flash the BIOS on this thing, I would be grateful.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer

Hello chigers,

In first, what's your bios setup utility (phoenix, ami, etc)?

How many beep do you ear when you start your laptop?

In second, the file *.exe contained in the zip folder is a self-extracting file.

You can retrieve the file *.FD with 7-Zip (freeware) or WinRAR (usable during 40 days).

France
  • chigers

Thanks, Laurent_14. When I turn it on there is NO beep, at least I don't hear any. 

And I will try using the .exe file, I didn't realize it was a self-extracting file. Do I need to rename it to anything specific?

• chigers

Another question: I see that there are .rom files inside the zip files, but no .fd files. Can I rename the .rom file to an .fd file?

• laurent_14

In first, I give you a link of the 7zip portable version (no install):

7-ZipPortable_9.20_Rev_3.paf.exe

You don't need to rename the zip file of your acer support.

What's your bios setup utility?

I don't know if you can rename the *.rom to an *.fd file.

Personally, I'll copy the 2 files .rom and .fd on the usb flash drive (more sure).

France
  • chigers

Yes!!!! Got the BIOS to flash! I unzipped the files from the .exe files that are on the Acer site. There was no .fd file among them. Although the instructions I have seen on how to do a flash USB drive said to format it as FAT and not FAT32, there was no option in Windows 7 for me to format it as FAT. So, I formatted an 8 gig flash stick to FAT32. Then I copied all of the files extracted from the BIOS exe file from Acer. Plugged it into the laptop, held down ALT and ESC and turned it on. Kept ALT and ESC down for a few more seconds, and lo and behold: the screen came to life. The BIOS flashed and now I can do a recovery!

Thanks everyone.

• laurent_14

Hello chigers,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to flash the bios.Smiley Very Happy

For the others members, it would be interesting to indicate the bios setup utility (Ami, Award, InsydeH20, Phoenix).

It's not the same procedure according to the bios (software).

Laurent

France
This discussion has been closed.