aspire 5517 black screen so how can I check 32 or 64 bit version of windows 7?

mrswinum
mrswinum Member Posts: 2 New User

HI,

I have an Acer Aspire 5517. The screen suddenly started going black. The thing will start up, there is a power light, but nothing happens on the screen. I hooked it up to another monitor and it didn't show anything. I would like to try updating the BIOS to see if that helps, but I can't tell which version of Widows 7 I have - 32 bit or 64 bit - without the information on the screen. I don't want to ruin it by trying to update the BIOS with the wrong version of Windows. 

Can you please help?

Thanks!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

hi...Smiley Happy

I sugegst you to perform a power reset.

To perform a power reset:

Unplug the AC adapter from your notebook, Turn the notebook over to remove the battery. Turn the notebook back over and open it.
    Hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then release the power button, Turn the notebook back over and slide the battery back into place, Slide the lock tab back into the lock position.
    Turn over the notebook one last time and plug in your AC adapter., Turn on your notebook.

There is no seperate BIOS updates for 32 bit and 64 bit. Urading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer Product. Please proceed with caution.

• mrswinum
    mrswinum Member Posts: 2 New User
    That did not work, but thank you for trying. Any other ideas? I gave up on trying to update the BIOS as I could not figure out how to make a bootable USB drive. As far as ruining my Acer product, well most people are telling methat there is no way to fix it already. So I figure whatever I do either I can fix it or I am back in the same place I started.

This discussion has been closed.