acer aspire model # MS2298 BATTERY ISSUE

Options
Cmpltly-flstrd
Cmpltly-flstrd Member Posts: 4 New User
I purchased this notebook @ at Costco about 1 yr. Ago. Recently I realised the battery wasn't charging. I admit I hadn't used the system in a number of months.. hence the reason I wasn't aware of the problem. While looking for answer s here I realised I was supposed to calibrate the battery upon first use. I didn't. So what do I do now? I doubt ive got more than 5 wks used total onn the system. I have removed the battery and replaced it 24 hrs later. Do I have to boot the system for the battery to charge?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

Should charge without booting. If the system runs OK with the power supply plugged in, I'd try a replacement battery from Amazon, fairly inexpensive and with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Hipower-Laptop-Battery-Notebook-Computers/dp/B0054KM9F0/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1403664628&sr=1-2&keywords=ms2298

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Cmpltly-flstrd
    Options

Thank you for responding. Could u please tell me if recalibration of the battery could be helpfull. Also,  u didn't respond to the question regarding my not being aware of needing to calibrate the battery in the first place. Then there's the reset pin hole, would that be of any value. Lasftly, you mention buying a new battery.  

Regarding purchase, I was unde the impression that I should only use true acer battery as a compatable one could do a number of thihs to my system, none of thembeing good. That's if it worked at all.

Thanks again.

• JackE
    Options

I'm not aware of the need for calibrating the battery of a new Acer. From where  did you get this information?

As far as re-calibrating, you can try running the battery down without the AC charger till the system auto-shutdowns. Then plug in the charger and re-start. Check charging level. You could also try deleting all the battery drivers in Device Mgr, shut Windows down, restart and let Windows re-load the drivers. However,  I don't think these measures will solve your issue as I feel the battery simply won't accept a significant charge anymore. 

Finally, I'm also not aware of any system problems that can be caused by compatible non-Acer replacement batteries other than the batteries themselves. Again, from where did you get this impression?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Cmpltly-flstrd
    Options

I came to Acer for my answers and did a lot of reading before I posted. Also my computer

tech told me 

about possible probs if I didnt use acer, such as the battery burning or just not working besides other possibilities. you're probably right in it wont accept a charge. Likely due to the fact it had completely run down due to not being used in some time. 

But, I don't quite understand how it could have been depleted when it was pluged in to house power while it wasn't being used. In other words it was pluged in and available. (?) 

The battery should run down only if not charging, right.

• JackE
    Options

Unlike the lead-acid battery in your car, a rechargeable lithium or lithium ion battery has a more of an age-related, than state-of-charge-related, life. So, even if it is kept in a fully charged state, it does not mean its life will be extended relative to a one that has been cycled regularly. In fact, evidence that suggests just the opposite --- aka, use it or lose it. IMO,  your computer hardware, AC charger and battery software are likely OK unless Device Mgr displays an error message or warning. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Cmpltly-flstrd
    Options
    Ok, thank yofor the information and the asistance . Much appreciated.

Anne
This discussion has been closed.