Keyboard: How to repair a few dead keys?

Options
MET
MET Member Posts: 9 New User

After cleaning the keyboard a few keys do no longer function. I removed carefully the cover of one of those keys in order to check whether the switch would only be blocked but it appears that the switch does no longer function.

Is it possible to replace individual switches of the keyboard? If not, would it be possible to obtain a complete German-Swiss-keyboard for a four year old TravelMate 8572G-564G50Mnkk?

Thanks in advance for some useful advise.

MET

Best Answer

• MET
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just in case someone stumbles over this thread...

1) Sharanji mentioned that it requires to replace the complete keypad. Individual keys (switches) cannot be replaced.

2) To obtain from Acer in a foreign country a replacement for a non-English keypad type is not possible. While being in Turkey I was looking for a replacement of a German-Swiss keypad and received the following replies:

Acer Switzerland:

We have the keypad but cannot send it abroad. May be you have someone in Switzerland who can send it to your address abroad.

Acer Germany:

You cannot receive the keypad from an Acer subsidiary in a different country.

Acer Turkey:

We can only supply Turkish or English keypads.

3) Searching the Internet this supplier could be found who has the keypad on stock and claims being also able to send it abroad.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options

hi..

It is not  possible to replace individual switches of the keyboard, you need to replace the whole keypad and this would also avoid any frustration while typing. 

You may contact Acer support in your region to check for detail of the keypad here : Acer Global Support

• MET
    Options

Thank you, Sharanji, for your reply and the hint. Before sending this post in the forum I did send a mail to the Acer help desk which has unfortunately not (yet?) been answered. I hope my request for a complete keypad replacement which I sent now at  bestellungen_ch[at]acer-euro.com will receive a positive reply. Yes it is actually a pad not a board. My problem is that I have my domicile presently in Turkey but need for my work the German-Swiss-keypad. (It appears that "only" three keys are dead but one of them is really frustrating, the missing left shift key...)

• MET
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just in case someone stumbles over this thread...

1) Sharanji mentioned that it requires to replace the complete keypad. Individual keys (switches) cannot be replaced.

2) To obtain from Acer in a foreign country a replacement for a non-English keypad type is not possible. While being in Turkey I was looking for a replacement of a German-Swiss keypad and received the following replies:

Acer Switzerland:

We have the keypad but cannot send it abroad. May be you have someone in Switzerland who can send it to your address abroad.

Acer Germany:

You cannot receive the keypad from an Acer subsidiary in a different country.

Acer Turkey:

We can only supply Turkish or English keypads.

3) Searching the Internet this supplier could be found who has the keypad on stock and claims being also able to send it abroad.

This discussion has been closed.