I have a DATE TIME / CMOS / BIOS problem with my Acer Aspire 5742Z

Options
Shaba
Shaba Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi,

Newbie here...

I have a strange problem with my Acer Aspire 5742Z (UK) which I think may be the BIOS or CMOS area...

MAIN PROBLEM

Keeps resetting to the BIOS default time ( 00:00:00 at 01/01/2009 ) ..OR.... a time 'near' what it is supposed to be..

MAIN STEPS IN DEMONSTRATING THE ISSUE ...  WHAT I HAVE DONE

Removed the main battery and then replaced CMOS battery twice (in case of a dud)

Main attery back in again.

Changed the BIOS time (using F2) countless times, but it rarely stays / or is correct.

STRANGENESS..

When booting into Windows 7, it nearly always does not show the same date and time that I entered in the BIOS.

For example if I enter 21:35:00 on 28th August 2014 using F2, when I boot into Windows the date and time may say 23 August 2014 at 15:25 ish..

TURNING OFF

If I power down and turn off,  and then power up, restart the time in the BIOS is correct.. at 21:43:00 08/29/2014 (which I save just for good measure). 

If I continue, Windows now reads 23rd August at 15:32

ADJUST WINDOWS TIME (UK)

So, I then change the Windows Date time to Fri 29 August 2014 21:48.

JUST FOR INFORMATION: The TIME ZONE SETTINGS are checked and no changes made : (UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

CONTROL PANEL, REGION AND LANGUAGE, English United Kingdom, Short time 21:48, Short Date:: 29/8/2014

i.e. All appears now to be correct.

TURN OFF AGAIN and I wait a few minutes.

TURN ON AGAIN and press F2 which (this time) shows the BIOS Default date and time in 2009

If I continue into Windows without changing the dafault BIOS date and time, Windows now shows as 23:02 31/12/2008

:-(

That's about it.

I would really appreciate help fixing this problem which is driving me nuts !

Thanks in advance !

Best Answer

• Shaba
    Answer ✓
    Options

...   Just in case anyone reads this...   Woman LOL

I simply updated my BIOS to the next issue, and the problem went. 

I guess maybe the BIOS had got corrupted !

I used the simple appraoch, and no shorting of terminals was involved.  I deliberately did not go for the latest BIOS just in case it brought new issues and confused the situation.

Shaba

Answers

• Shaba
    Answer ✓
    Options

...   Just in case anyone reads this...   Woman LOL

I simply updated my BIOS to the next issue, and the problem went. 

I guess maybe the BIOS had got corrupted !

I used the simple appraoch, and no shorting of terminals was involved.  I deliberately did not go for the latest BIOS just in case it brought new issues and confused the situation.

Shaba

• databaseben
    databaseben Member Posts: 14 New User
    Options

hi, im looking for bios update myself.  did you happen to find or figure out where the updates can be downloaded from via the acer servers?  the only ones i find are on european and russian sites and "im not going there"

:-)

• Shaba
    Options

Hi,

Sure...

I went to www.acer.com ...   then Support ....

Which redirected me to ... http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/support  here in the UK...

Near the bottom of the page is 'Drivers and Manuals'

I clicked on 'Search by product' and typed in 5472Z and clicked on the SEARCH button...

This gave me..   Aspire 5742Z  Aspire 5742ZG;  TravelMate 5742Z; TravelMate 5742ZG... etc

I clicked on Aspire 5742Z and this gave me headings such as DRIVER; DOCUMEMNTS; BIOS; PATCH; APLICATION; OS

I clicked on BIOS and saw...

'BIOS     Acer     Fixes sometimes system time will be set to default value.     1.26     6.7 MB     2011/11/14     Download'  ...   which was very close to what I was looking for.

Hope that helps! 

:-)

• databaseben
    databaseben Member Posts: 14 New User
    Options

THANK YOU !!

• Shaba
    Options

You are welcome. 

I know how frustrating it can be - especially when in a panic/hurry

I thought it would be a good idea to repost the link instructions, as there may be others in the same boat.

Shaba

This discussion has been closed.