Brand new Acer Aspire A5600u, Can not ever update Windows 8 or 8.1

Options
veronica0406
veronica0406 Member Posts: 7 New User

I love my beautiful, brand new Acer Aspire A5600U.

What I do not love, is the 7 times I have had to reset to facory since I purchased this beauty just over a month ago.

7 times to reset to factory at over 3 hours each session.  I really do have more important things to do with my time.

I have read through the forums that this issue is NOT and Acer problem, but a Microsoft problem.  I disagree!  I would have been more than happy to pay $1,000 for a brand new computer preinstalled with Windows 7 as long as I was able to maintain the OS with important updates.

Acer, YOU sold me a brand new computer with a crippled OS.  Therefore, this is not Microsoft's issue.  It is your issue.  

Tech support solution for me. the multiple times I have called has been to disable all Windows updates.  Really Acer?  That is your solution?  The OS releases critical updates from time to time, however I will be unable to install them on my brand new computer, because it will fail...every single time.

So I ask you Acer?  What is your devoted, new customer to do?  Tech support told me if I install Windows 7, I will void the warranty on my brand new shiney machine.  

I would like to insist on a reasonable, easy, permanet solution to the problem with my brand new $1,000 Acer Aspire 5600U.  And no, turning off all Windows updates is not a solution.

Thank You!

Sincerely,
Very Frustrated, New, Acer Customer...Idaho, USA.

Answers

• veronica0406
    Options

No response Acer?

I have made NO changes to the "Out of the Box" condition of this computer. No installation or uninstallation of software. Absolutely NO changes what-so-ever. Once restarted, Windows starts installing updates. It gets to 92 - 98 percent, and the screen shows..."Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer." It will sit at this screen for HOURS, never reverting anytime. I will boot the computer after waiting up to 6 hours, and it is stuck in an endless cycle of failure.

I then take out the 5 restore discs that I had to order from Acer, and start over. A factory restore process, that start to finish, takes over three hours.

Once into Windows, I immediately change the Windows Update Setting to NEVER CHECK FOR UPDATES, as a tech support representative suggested that is all I can do. This morning I booted into Windows, and the first thing I check is to be certain that my system is still set to NEVER update, and I find that the setting has changed! Picture 1 shows my setting, picture 2 shows the setting after I logged into Windows today. How did that setting change???

I immediately change it back to NEVER CHECK FOR UPDATES, cross my fingers and tentatively hit the restart button.

What will happen now is that I will restart the computer, and IF Windows starts to update itself, it will fail and I will have to reset to factory yet again, losing all my data and having to re-install all my software yet again.

Anther 3 plus hours wasted.

I love this new computer, but I can not be forced into a factory reset every few days just because the Windows 8 OS has critical updates that need to be installed?

I have worked with computers for over 20 years in technical support, I have never seen anything like this ever.

PLEASE HELP ME!!

My setting as set by me...

setting1

My setting this morning upon fresh boot up...

No!.JPG

I never know when I am going to be forced to do another 3 plus hour factory reset.  I back up all my data daily, but this is ridiculous.

Sincerely,

Veronica

• bksalt
    bksalt Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

So sorry to see you are haveing issues with your 5600U I have had one for 2months now with no problems up-dateing. The only difference is I have windows 8.1 installed and it runs with out a hitch and I love it.I really hope you get this worked out it is a wonderful computer to use.

Bksalt

• veronica0406
    Options

Thank you Bksalt.  I would love to be able to update to 8.1.  

I too love this computer, have only had it since April 2.  I really hope there is a solution to this issue.  Having to reset to factory every few days is getting exhausting!

Veronica

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi Veronica,

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Unfortunately, I would start to lean towards a potential hardware issue, maybe the harddrive is not writing correctly in a specific section something strange that's causing this problem.

A couple suggestions that I can suggestion would be to make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed. The latest we have available on our Drivers and Manuals is version P11.A4. Once you install that, you could try updates to see if that has any effect.

The other option would be to possible go through updates 1 at a time if possible selecting which one you want to download and install and see where that failure occurs. Then we could look at that specific update and see if it was causing others issues though I'm sure we'd have heard about it before.

I'm not sure that last option is worth the trouble. I would recommend contacting support after updating the BIOS is that doesn't resolve your issue.

• veronica0406
    Options

Hello Cory,

Thank you so much for responding to my post.  I have managed to keep the Automatic Windows Updates set in the OFF position, and the system is running beautifully.  Also, I had a tier 2 tech support call from an Acer representative, and he suggested the same thing you did.  To run the Bios update, then Windows update, and if that fails...selective Windows updates.

I will update the bios, then try the Windows 8 updates first.

If that fails, I will selectively run the updates one at a time, and see if I can figure out where the problem is.  

This will be an all day project, but it will be worth it to have my beautiful new Acer running all the latest Windows updates.  I do love this computer.

I will keep you posted.

Have a pleasent day. Woman Happy

Veronica

• frugal_economy
    frugal_economy Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

My Acer Aspire A5600u just arrived today.

Ran Windows Update first like I always do with a new computer and I have the Failure Configuring Windows Updates loops. This is unacceptable. What's going on? There's not even a boot disk included. I literally just had this computer running for 45 minutes and now its a screen of death...

• veronica0406
    Options

I am so sorry you are experiencing this as well, it is so frustrating.  It is also very frustrating that the computer does not ship with a boot and restore disk.  I do recommend that you order the boot and restore discs right away, as you will definitely need them.

I will say, that since I have disabled all Windows updates, my A5600u has been running beautifully.  My Windows is not up to date, which is worrisome, but at least I am not having any problems.  I still intend to try the updates one at a time as recommended by tech support, but that is going to take a lot of my time that I do not have available right now.

There has to be a better solution to this.  Smiley Frustrated

Veronica

• frugal_economy
    Options

I refuse to pay extra for basic service. For the price they are charging for a boot disk, I used it to get a 32gb flashdrive to back up a boot disc myself. My Samsung laptop updated to Windows 8.1 flawlessly. I expect nothing less for this Asus either. 

The Acer technician recommended I do a factory reset and try reinstalling again. I'm doing that now, but this is so ridiculus because it takes 3-4 hours. That a lot of time wasted trying to fix something that's so basic. 

Very very disappointed in this. It's going to reflect on their product rating from the store I bought it from.

Very upset. We shouldn't have to downgrade our experience (not upgrade a computer) just because the company sold a faulty product.

• frugal_economy
    Options

Why 6 hours later my Factor Resetting stops at 46%?

• veronica0406
    Options

Restore using the CD's takes me just under 3 hours start to finish.  Granted, it is a bit of a pain to sit and load 6 discs, but it works.  I too tried the USB route, by creating the system restore to a USB drive.  I figured that had to be quicker and easier.  However, that restore took over 6 hours and only made it to 50%.  I had to abort it and use the discs anyway.  

My last computer was an HP laptop.  It did not ship with restore discs, but had a built in restore partition that worked flawlessly every time.  Acer could take some notes from HP, and do something about their horrid restore process.  

I know you don't want to order the discs, but I am certainly glad I have mine!

• frugal_economy
    Options

It managed to factory reset after like 8 hours!

Sad state how customers need to take care of each other to get their product to work.

So I am currently updating to 8.1

Here's what I did:

I updated all the windows system updates one at a time. You're notice a lot of them have the same beginning name. I went for the earliest date and slowly went down the list.

This time around there were no failures in the update.

After I updated my windows system files I updated the bios technical support provided me.

Then I started updating to 8.1

• veronica0406
    Options

Wow, 8 hours?  Who has time for that?  I guess it will be an overnight operation if I decide to go by USB.

I am glad you were able to get your system up and running, and updated to 8.1.  I hope to tackle that project soon.  For now, I am content with no Windows updates.  For now...

Here is hoping that you have no more problems.  

Veronica

This discussion has been closed.