Aspire One D257- 13478 wont start after system BIOS flash.

Options
M0ne
M0ne Member Posts: 8 New User

I gave my kid an ASPIREONE D257 - 13478 brand new.

It came with Windows7 starter - was very slow, crippled,  and crashed a lot.

After a while, I re-formatted the HARDDRIVE to remove Windows-resource-hog-7 , and I installed Windows XP Professional (SP3).

After which, the netbook was much faster, and I could browse with 5 browser-windows open (FireFox) ,  and NEVER reveive (NOT RESPONDING) like I  was always getting with Windoze-7. It's been good for 5 months.

Anyways, it worked fine except, I could not find XP driver for the Broadcom  wireless adapter [CODE 10],

so we haven't  been using WiFi .

Today I read suggestion to update my BIOS to fix the [CODE 10} issue. I went to acer link and downloaded the BIOS on the wwebsite, RAN the EXE and the netbook went to reboot.

After the ACER logo appears, a QUICK  Blue screen flashed, and the netbook RESTARTS again.

Asking me to start Windows Normally just repeats what happens above

When I choose Safe Mode.. the Drivers load until Mup.sys and then the system just RESTARTS agin.

When I try Last Known Good Configuration, same thing happens.

Going into System Setup Utility (F2) shows, System Bios Version: v1.15

before it was v1.10.

So.. whats my next step ?

Will reformatting my HD and reinstalling WIndowsXP FIX this problem ?

or

How can I RESET my Bios back to v1.10 (when everything was fine) ,

any software to use on a USB drive to fix this issue ? ( because theres no CD  drive obviously )

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi MOne

The flash will have changed the BIOS settings, so go to BIOS settings and check that the HDD setting is in AHCI mode. If this still fails to boot XP, then it is worth trying to format & reinstall Windows from scratch.

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi MOne

The flash will have changed the BIOS settings, so go to BIOS settings and check that the HDD setting is in AHCI mode. If this still fails to boot XP, then it is worth trying to format & reinstall Windows from scratch.

• M0ne
    M0ne Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

Thanks for your reply Ace fintux.

Things I did beforre I saw your reply.

Made a copy of BartPE on a USB flash drive and added the BIOS Flash files.

*instructions here: http://midtech.blogspot.com/2008/09/bartpe-on-usb-flash-disk-ufd.html  

Loaded BartPE on the netbook and got into the desktop where I,  RE-FLASHED the system with BIOS 1.10 by running the Windows file.

Restarted the netbook and was still having the REBOOTINg issue.

So I went into setup [F2] and clicked F9 ( reset system defaults) .

That didnt work.
    Went back into system setup [F2] and changed the HDD settings from what it was to AHCI mode ( just as I see you mentioned in your reply), and that worked.
    The kid is back in business and doesn't have to use the parents Laptop Smiley Wink

Thanks again. You had the right solution.

Now all I need is a Broadcom network-card-driver for Windows XP to fix the the issue [CODE 10] , so we can use WiFi .

This discussion has been closed.