chromebook does not play some avi files please help

eyelarocca
eyelarocca Member Posts: 3 New User

some are fine but some only play audio and stills.  i saw a lot of posts about this in 2012 but none recently - i'm hoping this means there is a fix?!  

please help!

thanks

Answers

• suniljp
    suniljp Member Posts: 166 Troubleshooter

As chrome OS doesn't support installation of missing video and audio codecs that might be the reason some files won't display the audio or video. You can visit chrome store and look for some chrome application which can be used to play video files. That doesn't guarantee all video files will play properly in chrome OS.

• eyelarocca
    eyelarocca Member Posts: 3 New User

Thank you for your response.  .avi is listed as a supported file for Chrome OS.  

When I searched for video player in the Chrome store, I did not unearth anything promising.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks! 

• suniljp
    suniljp Member Posts: 166 Troubleshooter

Though the chrome OS supports AVI file format again it depends on the software and codec used while converting the file to avi format. Some avi files the audio codec will not be supported and in some the video codec. I suggest you to convert those avi files in other supported file format which is compatible with the chrome OS and see if it plays well.

• larryw4csc
    larryw4csc Member Posts: 3 New User

Look to see if there is a port of MX Player Pro for Chromebook that may be available in the play store.  MX Player Pro is the finest video/audio player available for Android and has its own codec packs for the various chipsets that will play anything.  It sure fixes the problems with Android 4.0.3 playing DivX.  Though a bit of a tussel to get it started, you can even get it to play the ISO image straight off a DVD if you force a video start and hit the position dragbar quickly.  I can play DVD images stored on my 64GB NTFS-formatted microSD first class.  I'm sure there's a Chromebook version out or in the works.

• SrinuVasu
    SrinuVasu Member Posts: 10 New User

PLease try

You can also upload your AVI file to Google Drive. Then watch it in Drive

This discussion has been closed.